rear axle filter retainer

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

rear axle filter retainer

Postby caribougone » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:49 am

Took the cover off the rear axle to change the oil and there were loose bits in there! Bit worrying... Looks like the remains of the retainer that holds the filter pad in place. #5 in the diagram. Is it really necessary? The pad seems to sit somewhat nicely in place without it and has likely stood that way for some time.
Attachments
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: rear axle filter retainer

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 am

I could picture things getting messy if it gets caught up in the gears, though with the age of most of our axles it might just quieten things down a little. I haven't seen this in mine (well, I haven't looked) but could you bend up a replacement from something like welding rod or even a wire coat hanger?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby GTpete » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Personally I have not seen this fitted in the axles I have serviced....I would say its not required...anyone else?
GTpete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby caribougone » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:24 am

Thanks droopsnoot and GTPete. Without a decent example it'd take a while to get that peculiar shape right. I'm also not sure how tricky it would be getting it in there with the crown wheel etc in place. I'm going to leave it out and hope for the best for now.
caribougone
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical