Engine rebuild

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Engine rebuild

Postby Clara » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:48 am

Okay the garage are now officially *Bleep* ME OFF.

They've changed their minds about wanting to put my engine in and are coming up with the lousiest of excuses - "oh you need to buy a core plug" - core plug? They waited a week for me to come in and see them to check on the work and then they tell me I have to buy a core plug???? What kind of garage doesn't have access to a ....

*swallows a whole lot of happy pills*

So, I've been thinking. The car is coming home just as soon as I can and then she's going to sit on the drive for a while longer. Not the nicest of prospects.

Does anyone here build engines? If I'm going to mess around like this I may as well have the new engine competely rebuilt (so how much can you get out of an 1159cc anyway?.

Time running out! Owing to ill health and mechanics this car has been off the road for 7 months!!! :( :( :( :cry:
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:03 pm

well as I spoke to John Sharp this weekend and he said the engine was a good one I wonder why they need to rebuild the engine in the first place?

Maybe me and a few of the others can come across and just change the damn thing ourselfves, its apeice of *Bleep* in a HC so cannot be that hard on a HA?

If the engine I dropped off is still as it was shouldnt take that long at all.

I assume the garage has now decided to strip the thing as they dropped it from a great height etc and now are trying to offset the cost of the repairs on you? Sounds like its time to get the car back form them and all the parts and not pay them for anyof it, dmaged flywheels core plugs etc, they sound like cowboys
pbottomley

Postby Clara » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:18 pm

pbottomley wrote:I assume the garage has now decided to strip the thing as they dropped it from a great height etc and now are trying to offset the cost of the repairs on you? Sounds like its time to get the car back form them and all the parts and not pay them for anyof it, dmaged flywheels core plugs etc, they sound like cowboys

That'll be the one.

They've always been really good with the fleat of cars before - but they seem to want to try and pull the "she's just a girl" trick on me.

If I'm going to have cowboys messing around with my car I'd rather have cowboys that I KNOW have been drinking bottles of ale / falling through chairs / doing forward rolls despite the fact that they are grown men who should know better.
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Engine rebuild

Postby Sid » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:53 pm

Yeah, I agree with Paul, it sounds like they've done a lot of damage and they're just trying to get out of it by making excuses of
reasons they can't complete the work. Core plugs cost pennies and they could easily get them if they were bothered.
Either they're incompetant or they just don't want the work, whichever, it seems to me like you'd be better salvaging whats now left
after their mess so far, and doing the work yourself.
Swapping that engine should've only been a few hours work, but there's no telling what state they've left it in now.
I've still got a complete 1159 going spare very cheap if you find you still need any bits.
I wouldn't advise splashing out for a full "rebuild" as that's a lot to spend on an 1159, even assuming you can get all the bits.
Better to make a good engine from used parts I reckon.

Sid

----- Original Message -----

>
> pbottomley wrote:
>
> I assume the garage has now decided to strip the thing as they dropped it from a great height etc and now are trying to offset the
> cost of the repairs on you? Sounds like its time to get the car back form them and all the parts and not pay them for anyof it,
> dmaged flywheels core plugs etc, they sound like cowboys
> (end of quote)
>

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Clara » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:45 pm

Consider them truly bollocked (amazing what PMT can do to help win an arguement).

I find it best to suck on a throat sweet first and then walk in very loudly when they are at their busiest and "humour" the other customers.

One chap changed his mind about having some work done to his car made them take it off the ramp and drove off.
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Engine rebuild

Postby MattHC1600SL » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:25 pm

Superb sounds like they needed a kick up the *Bleep*!

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:04 pm

Well done Clara, I'm sure we can get something sorted and get you mobile again. :D
Peter
hbpeter
Register Rep

Return to Mechanical