HC pedal box

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HC pedal box

Postby MattHC1600SL » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I want to change the pedal box in my 1971 HC, anyone done one before? Its done the usual thing of cracking on the clutch cable bracket. Its been bodged up for years with washers but I want to sort it properly. Are they much of a job to change? And is it worth beefing up the replacement with some weld before I fit it? Cheers, Matt.

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
MattHC1600SL
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:47 am

I did mine quite recently, it's a bit of a fiddle but not too hard. As I recall it, disconnect the clutch cable and brake master cylinder pushrod, undo three nuts that hold it to the bulkhead, and pull it out. Some seem to have another bolt that bolts downwards through the flat section of bulkhead, but mine doesn't for some reason.

I have the clutch cable outer stopped on the engine side of the bulkhead, so the fragile bit of the pedal box doesn't get used. There's a spreader plate around it, so the bulkhead doesn't have any trouble either - this was done before I bought the car and I couldn't think of a reason to put it back - in theory I lose a bit of cable adjustment, but there's plenty left. When I replaced the bushes on mine just recently, I also welded a 3mm thick plate on the left hand side of the pedal box, to prevent the hole for the pivot rod from elongating again. New bushes help, too.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

HC pedal box

Postby Sid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:31 am

On the magnum I welded up the existing cracked bracket and put a couple of triangular braces in to beef it up. I don't recall it
being a difficult job to remove/refit.
On the V6 (HC) I had to beef up the whole assembly including the pedal dogleg section and replace the pivot bushes with a welded in
metal tube. Never had any more trouble with it though :-)

----- Original Message -----
Subject: HC pedal box

>I want to change the pedal box in my 1971 HC, anyone done one before? Its done the usual thing of cracking on the clutch cable
>bracket. Its been bodged up for years with washers but I want to sort it properly. Are they much of a job to change? And is it
>worth beefing up the replacement with some weld before I fit it? Cheers, Matt.
>

Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

HC pedal box

Postby Sid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:35 am

Yeah agreed, I put a huge washer over the bulkhead hole on my old V6 HC as well, so the bulkead took most of the load.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
>
> I have the clutch cable outer stopped on the engine side of the bulkhead, so the fragile bit of the pedal box doesn't get used.
> There's a spreader plate around it, so the bulkhead doesn't have any trouble either - this was done before I bought the car and I
> couldn't think of a reason to put it back - in theory I lose a bit of cable adjustment, but there's plenty left. When I replaced
> the bushes on mine just recently, I also welded a 3mm thick plate on the left hand side of the pedal box, to prevent the hole for
> the pivot rod from elongating again. New bushes help, too.

Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical