Rear axle whine

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Rear axle whine

Postby Sid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:26 pm

> as for the possible use of those counterbalance weights as dampeners against axle tramp
> all I can say is "Its an OHV Viva!" axle tramp is but a dream. LOL [Laughing]

Yeah, I guess that rules out "wheelie bars" as a possible explanation as well ;-)

Actually, I've come across *similar*, seemingly superfluous devices before, though on more modern cars, and apparently they were
harmonic vibration dampers of some sort. Ironically one of their functions was to absorb the "Rear axle while" of the subject line!

My old mk3 Supra had some big rubber mounted metal lumps on the rear subframe called "diff dampers" in the manual. Mine fell off
(due to axle tramp ironically) after a spot of drag racing at the Pod, and I could hear the diff whine slightly at motorway speeds
afterwards which I'd never heard before.

Anyway, if you want to experience axle-tramp in a Viva, just put a 200lbft V6 in it!
Believe me I really miss the Jag IRS I had on by old HC, but I'm not sure 5" rear arch extensions would suit a HB, even though they
looked great on the HC. Check this out for its awesome rear-end:
http://www.goldenbeast.freeserve.co.uk/ ... IVAHC2.JPG
I've still got the axle and rear wheels. Sorry, no, I aint sellin' 'em ;-)

Sid

This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Rear axle whine

Postby ADRIAN » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:08 pm

Just a bit of useless info?    Those funny protuberances as you call them, are called harmonic dampers. These were fitted to the Viva E coupe only, because these cars mysteriously suffered from a droning/drumming at a certain speed range.    Note that one is bigger than the other,  and the core inside the eye is actually made of wood. 
That's all for now folks
Adrian is away on holiday................ 

-------Original Message-------

Date: 08/11/06 12:10:15
To: mechanicalhelp@vauxhallviva.com (mechanicalhelp@vauxhallviva.com)
Subject: Re: Rear axle whine

Haven't you got a trolley jack Paul? It makes lifting the axle into position a doddle from what I remember, though mines a 3-ton
jack which has quite a big lifting cup so once you sit the diff on there it stays there for the whole ride, as it were.

As an aside, lifting the big axle from the Rover's boot last night I was surprised it didn't seem much heavier than the small one.
Still those funny protruberances on that old axle must weigh a fair bit :-)
BTW, is there oil in that big axle? If so is it old or new?

Sid

----- Original Message -----
From: "pbottomley" <webmaster@vauxhallviva.com (webmaster@vauxhallviva.com)>
Subject: Rear axle whine

>
> Moving back to the thread, axle now ready to bolt on !!!! Will have a horrid time lifting it again onot the arms and pushing bolts
> in tomorrow
> _________________________________________________________

[img]cid:d4a4c138-3422-45a4-b406-d6b2d153a105[/img]
This post was made via email to the Vauxhall Viva Owners Club
Visit us at www.vauxhallviva.com
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:24 am

Just to let you all know the axle was fitted in an hour on me own.... only problem i had was those damn silly counterbalance weights (ala E coupe) The fowl the handbrake cable so remmoved them... Shame as it looked like the car had wheeelie bars ! LOL.

All i have to do now is bleed the brakes and fill the axle oil up... then take it for a drive and see if its good!
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:55 pm

well bleed the brakes (well sort of as they sort of work now) and yopped up the oil in the axle, been up the road about a mile and back... the diff whine has gone thabnk god..... But it seesm that was maskingall the other weird squeaks etc :? SO now i have all of those to find and put right !!

Typical sort one thing get 20 more to do :shock: :shock:
pbottomley

Previous

Return to Mechanical