1256 gearbox reassembly

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

1256 gearbox reassembly

Postby Sweden » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi,

I have a problem to put in the main shaft for the gearbox. The layshaft and reverse idler pinion shaft is allready in place. I pull out the input shaft as far as it can go, move the 3rd/4th synchro hub as far out as I can to be able to put it to the caged needle roller bearing in the input shaft. So far everythin is OK. But then the main shaft is blocked to go all the way in.. I have tried for hours to figure out how to fit this together but I just have had no success so far.

Anyone who can help me on this?

Regards
Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sweden » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:08 pm

No one who has put a gearbox together? I gave it a couple of hours today again, but I just can't figure out why the mainshft want go in... If no one knows of any tricks, I guess I have to buy me a small dentist mirror to try to see where it gets stuck...

Maybe it a mission impossible trying to get the main shaft in with the layshaft, input shaft and the revers idler shaft allready in place?

(I have taken the engine into pieces, restored it, and is now ready to put it back in the car with the gearbox)

/Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby shamm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:16 pm

Not done this job but the Haynes says:

"Locate the clutch well forward of the clutch hub so that the clutch will clear the third-speed layshaft gear when installing the main shaft assembly."

The associated picture says,
"When installing the manishaft, ensure that slots in the synchronizing ring engage sliding keys and that the clutch hub is located well forward."

No other re-assembly requiements are listed for the main chaft so this is probably the source of your problems.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Sweden » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi Shamm,

Thank's for the reply. I have the Haynes, so unfortunatly that doesn't help out as I have allready gone behind clearing the 3d and 4th gear, but still has not been able to move the mainshaft to go forward to the synchronizing ring. (It gets stuck in the middle) I will try again this evening to try to figure it out.

Thank's anyhow

/Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sweden » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:59 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :D :D :D

Iy turned out that there are differences between the mainshaft between different gearboxes. Visually I couldn't see it, but trying with another mainshaft which I had it sjust slided in with no difficulties.

At last I can put the gearbox to the engine and put everything back in the car.

/Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to Mechanical