LEAKING CAM COVER 2300

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

LEAKING CAM COVER 2300

Postby griffonmark » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:25 pm

Anyone know how to fit a cam cover gasket on a 2300 without causing leaks? In the book it just says fit carefully. However, mine is pouring out oil and gets worse if I tighten the studs/bolts. I've tried it with gasket sealant, without, dead tight, not so tight and the oil still pours out like a tap all over the exhaust. This is driving me mad as I've managed to fix everything else, the engine's running great and I still can't use the damn thing! Regards, Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby hbpeter » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:45 pm

Presume you have done the basic's, surfaces clean/dry, no damage, cam cover not bent, use a new gasket. One way I was told many moons ago, and it worked. Fit the gasket to the cam carrier with a very light smear of Blue hylomar. Then find some very thin wire, fuse wire is good. Fasten the gasket to the carrier with th wire wrapped through the bolt holes and pulled tight. When tightening down the cover do it very gently and go round the bolts in sequence as if you were doing a head gasket. The wire should be soft enough not to interfer with the bolt threads. This worked for me. If the surface on the carrier is damaged or warped, and the cam cover bent in anyway it will never seal.
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby griffonmark » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:56 pm

Thanks for the tip Peter. I had another look at the cam cover and the previous owner has used the wrong washers, little tiny ones which have distorted the cam cover at the screw holes so much that you could still see the cam when the screws were tight! It was like the niagra falls over my exhaust. I've banged them flat again. I don't think I'll use the blue hylomar again, its not sticky enough for the curve of the gasket. I'll try the black stuff, its more grippy. Regards, Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby griffonmark » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:34 am

Managed to cure all leaks by using orange silicone based hylomar as recommended by my motor factor. Drove the beast for the first time yesterday since the twin carbs and K & N filters and it is too fast. It has now done 85mph with stonking acceleration all the way until it just runs out of revs. Trouble is the tickover is way too fast with the throttle screw backed of completely. Suppose I'll just have to learn how to tune twin strombergs.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:55 am

griffonmark wrote:Drove the beast for the first time yesterday since the twin carbs and K & N filters and it is too fast. It has now done 85mph with stonking acceleration all the way until it just runs out of revs. Trouble is the tickover is way too fast with the throttle screw backed of completely. Suppose I'll just have to learn how to tune twin strombergs.

Sounds the same as mine....LOL I too will have to learn to play with large engines... I have spent the last three years playing 1057 cc to 1256cc engines... this whole slant four things is a whole new world!

so many different noises to hear and think about, is that normal, is that right, its that bad, is that good.... ??? who knows, I guess drive it till it stops then learn that noise obviously wasnt a good one.
pbottomley

Return to Mechanical