Prop shaft hitting Bodywork

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:45 am

Just a small question, under hard acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear, my car sounds like the prop shaft is hitting the bodywork, the car does lift at the front and the rear squats down...

It has lowered springs on the rear as well.

Seems to me I have several options,

Change springs for harder,

Change springs for taller

OR take a hammer to the tunnel

Dont use lead foot

ideas welcome :D

Then again is it the prop?

had same issue in a moggie with twin can fiat so that why I thinks it the prop.
pbottomley

Postby Sid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 am

I wouldn't normally expect the prop to get anywhere near the tunnel unless the centre bearing mount or gearbox mount were damaged,
but if the car is lowered then maybe that's a different matter. I think you'll have to crawl underneath and look for evidence of
contact.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Prop shaft hitting Bodywork

Just a small question, under hard acceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear, my car sounds like the prop shaft is hitting the bodywork, the
car does lift at the front and the rear squats down...

Then again is it the prop?
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:30 pm

OHHH good point Sid, havent been under the car yet... time etc etc, so not sure if it is a single prop or a two piece one, suspect its a single piece unit.

Gearbox doesnt rock, nor does the leaver seem to move under hard acceleration, so gearbox seems stable, looks like it could be the lowered rear end thats the issue.

I do need to give the car a full once over on everything, and I suspect by the end of this week I will have a list of things to be done as long as my arm, and little experance with said engine and or car (HB) going to be a learning curve....
pbottomley

Postby Sid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:41 pm

Movement in the rear upper arm bushes can also cause the prop to thrash about excessively.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: Prop shaft hitting Bodywork

I do need to give the car a full once over on everything, and I suspect by the end of this week I will have a list of things to be
done as long as my arm, and little experance with said engine and or car (HB) going to be a learning curve....
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:21 pm

Ahh another good lead, as the car came with some poly bush sets for me to fit.... maybe I should get that done first, and check the greese nipples and oil levels.... E.G. give its bum a good going over :shock: :shock:

Then maybe play swap gearboxs for the overdrive one a few weeks time, then polybush the front end. do the brakes new pads etc.....

I see a plan evolving here :lol: just need slaves to hold car in air whilst I do the axle bushes etc..
pbottomley

Postby griffonmark » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:29 pm

If you bend the exhaust tailpipe down and then put a brick on the accel pedal at max revs you should get enough thrust to lift the back end. Be careful though, if your exhaust is not in the centre the car could become unstable. This doesn't work if you have fitted a rear spoiler as this will provide too much downforce.

Another tip, I often sit my wife on the bonnet ( a suitably well fed girlfriend will also suffice) significantly increasing front downforce and thus raising the rear a good 2 foot. However, make sure she sits on the offside or you will end up with a flat battery.

If all else fails, reverse over said wife/girlfriend and stop with a rear wheel between greased nipples. This gives provides good, secure access to the underbody allowing the propshaft to be safely inserted.

Back to my universal joint.....
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:45 pm

OHHH found out what all the tapping noises were under hard gas...

Its the engine block against the bulkhead... 8)

the engine is an ecceptially tight fit against the bulkheads... I can live with that as long as it doesnt do silly things to the car apart from rattle me teeth, and it only happens if i use full gas in lower gear.
pbottomley

Postby Clara » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:26 pm

pbottomley wrote:OHHH found out what all the tapping noises were under hard gas...

Its the engine block against the bulkhead... 8)

:shock: :shock:
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical