Heater radiator - '74 Magnum

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:25 pm

Is it normal for the Viva/Firenze/Magnum that it blows hot all the time through the ventilation system??

I've checked the valve on the heater and it seems ok. Even if it's turned off (heater regulator to COLD) it blows hot.. I was thinking about switching the water hoses so that the hottest water stops against the valve instead in the heater radiator. Could this help or is it a totally hopeless theory??? :?: :?:
Why fight for a ball when we can play with cars..?!!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:49 am

Well in theory as soon as the heater valve is shut off, the water should start cooling down, especially if you use the fan. There's bound to be some seepage unless you've got a 100% seal, but it should cool quite well.

I don't have the cable connected on mine, so it's always blowing warm air, but that's mainly because I can't find a suitable clip to hold the outer.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Sid » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:17 pm

That valve never seemed to close properly on mine either. I always found the heater matrix still getting hot in summer.
It was mainly, due to cable clamp problems, but even if I went unter the bonnet at moved it all the way to the cold end manually,
there was still some heat getting through.

Sid

----- Original Message -----
To: <mechanicalhelp@vauxhallviva.com>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Heater radiator - '74 Magnum

Well in theory as soon as the heater valve is shut off, the water should start cooling down, especially if you use the fan.
There's bound to be some seepage unless you've got a 100% seal, but it should cool quite well.

I don't have the cable connected on mine, so it's always blowing warm air, but that's mainly because I can't find a suitable clip
to hold the outer.
Sid
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Well, I bought a roll of hose today and going to change the flow direction. I'll keep u updated!
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:57 pm

Eehh... I really feel like Mr.Stupid after tonights session in the garage... :oops: First of all my theory with the hottest water stopping against the valve was true. But of course, that was the way it was engineered the first way out... :oops: :oops: I really feel embarassed..

Anyway I did a test on the valve and found out it was leaking. I tested valves from a SAAB 96 V4 and a Daihatsu Rocky and they were tight. I disassembled the whole valve and found the rubberseal to be hard as rock with small cracks. There's the leakage.

On the bright side the Magnum now are fitted with new hoses to the heater radiator! :D So if anyone got a tip on where to get new valves that fit I'd be VERY happy to know.
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 am

I would imagine if you can get it all apart you could probably have something made up for a reasonable cost. I dropped on some new valves back at Billing in the late 80s and bought a couple (one for each car) but I haven't seen new ones for a long time - just the kind of thing you sometimes drop on.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby MAGNUM 2300 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:56 pm

droopsnoot wrote:I would imagine if you can get it all apart you could probably have something made up for a reasonable cost. I dropped on some new valves back at Billing in the late 80s and bought a couple (one for each car) but I haven't seen new ones for a long time - just the kind of thing you sometimes drop on.

Yeah..if I'm extemly lucky. I'll keep my eyes open. I might be able to make one of "something" else too..
MAGNUM 2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical