Gear box oil.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Gear box oil.

Postby wyke » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:30 pm

My 78 GLS 1256 saloon is leaking oil from gear box I think.

How do I renew oil seal - is it engine out job ?

Is the top up plug a recessed plug - that needs an allen key ? What size is it - I could not get at it - left hand side of box as sat in seat looking out front. ie nearsde!!
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby griffonmark » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 pm

The rear oil seal can be replaced by removing just the propshaft and leaving the gearbox in place, but make sure it is the seal that is leaking before you do, ie clean up the tail section as best you can and perhaps tie a rag round it to act as a barrier to oil from the front, and recheck it after a run. My gearbox looked like it was leaking but it was engine oil from the cam cover. Also, the previous owner had cross threaded the speedo cable, I was amazed how much oil leaked out of it, but with a lot of care I was able to correctly refit.

The filler plug is on the nearside, in the middle, half way up. You should use an allen key but I used grips and a hammer because I couldn't find my keys and I was desparate. The correct level should be 'to the bottom of the filler plug orifice'. Capacity is 0.9 pint of Castrol Hypoy 90 or equivalent.

Regards Mark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Edd_V6 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:31 pm

You can fill up the oil through the gearstick hole, just undo the drain plug drain all the old oil out first, refit the plug and refill it with the right amount of oil through the gearstick hole, if you jack up the back of the car it makes the job quicker...

Edd
Edd_V6
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby wyke » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Can anyone tell me what size allen key I need ?
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby griffonmark » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:41 pm

A big one. About the size of your little finger.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby wyke » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:01 pm

How do you know the size of my little finger ?
wyke
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby griffonmark » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:43 pm

I can be quite sensitive about these things.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical