A little over heated Viva

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

A little over heated Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 am

Just for the record, I drove Ians silver estate back to his home in Wales on Monday morning, I kept as around 50 mph the whole way and stopped a couple of times, it is a joy to drive, it starts first time and sounds smooth as silk...

Beter still I put £25 of fuel in for the 180 miles and once at Ians I still have loads of fuel left so it was super economic as well.

I collected the Green estate and the fun began, after leaving Ians and watching the family wave good bye, I set off at around 50mph again, and noiticed the carb was a bit rich, but hey ho I am not pushing it should be okay. I got onto the M4 and within a mile steam was gushhing out of the bonnet ! OOPS

Pulled over and let her cool down (car is called Emma by the way) Noticed it had the wrong rad cap (10psi) one and a HB rad. Whilst standing on the hard shoulder i waved at the AA man as he drove by towing someone "we will meet again!". after 20 minutes i crawled up the hard shoulder at around 20 mph till the next exit and inot a layby on the next road (dont want to pay if i can help it!!!)

Called the AA and within an hour the same chap I waved at appeared, big smile on his face, "not seen one of these in years!", was his first comment.

Within 20 minutes we have the thermostat out, and gave the car the once over, I set off with the AA following for about 10 miles, all seemd well so off he went and onwards I drove.

Keeping to 40mph I managed to get to Ross on Wye around 5pm, checked the radiator and re fille dit with another litre of water. At this point my life line to sanity was kelly, I phoned her at each stop and told her what I was doing and how things were going.

Thnaks god the services on the M50, M5, M42 and M6 were all equally spaced at around 20 -25 miles... thats was as far as the car would go without serious overheating.

I got home at around 8pm, making a total driving day of 13 hours, to cover 360 miles. Not exactly any world land speed records set, BUT in all honesty was nice to be free and driving without a care in the world , bar the water temp.

Moral of the story??? Have the right cap on your Radiator and a working theromsat. :lol: :lol:
pbottomley

Postby kellyharding » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 pm

Maybe next time have chinese instead of a curry ;)

Kelly
kellyharding

Return to Mechanical