water pumps? which is which.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Postby pickled_foot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:20 pm

hi,
my water pump is now more of a sprinkler system. the once nice tidy engine is now rust coloured and a bit furry thanks to it.
easy enough to change but looking around i keep seeing QH reference numbers for the part on ebay and such that seem to be right, only i'm not sure which is actually the one i need.
I have a '78 GLS HC viva 1256cc with viscous fan coupling.
Think i need either QCP954 or QCP2187 but if anyone knows for sure i would be grateful.

cheers
pickled_foot

Postby ADRIAN » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Hello pickled foot!?
Are you a club member? The club spares scheme stocks all water pumps at competitive prices, - why wait for Ebay? When as a member you have immediate access...........
P.s Neither of those part numbers you give are correct for Viva.!
Adrian
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pickled_foot » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:43 pm

i know i should get through club but have lost job so every penny counts and keeping viva on road is a stretch as it is. if i can save £10 buying through ebay and taking the risk thats the way it has to be. there is a classic spares shop just down the road who sells them too but way out of my price range, over £40 including VAT.
when i'm feeling a bit more flush i'll do the jobs that aren't just desperate ones, then i'm sure i'll get stuff through club but right now car will have to just trudge on as best it can.
pickled_foot

Postby griffonmark » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi Adrian

Looks like you might soon have a buyer for that 1256 engine you have tucked away in the corner!

Regards

Nogriffonmark
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pickled_foot » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:47 pm

am so glad i posted on this forum it is a world of help.
pickled_foot

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 am

I can't tell whether you were being genuine in your post above in thanking Adrian for his offer to supply a pump through the club, or upset that lots of people didn't post the answer you were looking for. I did send you a PM with the appropriate part numbers according to the QH parts manual when I first saw your posting, but I don't know whether you saw it or not.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby pickled_foot » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:56 pm

it was a mixed post,
but thanks to your PM i now have a water tight happy little viva with a QCP954 pump running at half the club price.
which is great for poverty stricken viva owner me.
Now whats next on the fix list...
pickled_foot

Return to Mechanical