head scratcher

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

head scratcher

Postby psl » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:00 pm

Right, i`ve gone and lashed out all my cash on a new viva steed. Got it home and starts fine from cold and runs for about 4 mins before conking out, restart and it starts fine but dies after a few seconds and every time you start it it dies after that and wont run.Now the problem is i`ve got a knackered back,can stand in front of the engine bay for mins not hours so i need to define the problem area. Anyone got any thoughts. I was going to start at the carb as its got a new fuel pump fitted. Its also fitted with an su carb.
Also a note to all before bidding on something on ebay go and see it and test it before bidding, i`ve had my hands well burnt with this one as it needs no end sorting on it. So it wasnt worth the 7 hour round trip and a wedge of petrol money thrown in as well, never seen a car pass an MoT with cross ply and radial tyres on the same axle, a blowing exhaust and when it rains, puddles in the boot,back seat and both front foot wells.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby hbpeter » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:19 pm

Sounds like a fuel blockage. Does it have a filter fitted?
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:36 am

Which one on e bay was it ? Not familar with SU carbs but i had a car fitted with the wrong air filter it would start fine but die after a few minutes. the air filter fitted was slightly to big so when it warmed up expanded and choked the engine from incoming air, small simple thing like that can give you a big headache. It was a 1256 engine but they fitted a air filter that was listed for a 1800. were abouts in the country are you ?
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 am

Hi Carl, it is i (tinkerman) had to change my user name due to certain reasons.Its fitted with its correct air filter, so may have to go down the fuel blockage route. I`ll see if i can get some poor fool to get under the car and have a look and clear the fuel lines out and the tank. Just really down that i cant do anything on the car, turning a screwdriver bloody hurts.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AUTOMAN » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:50 pm

sounds like a fuel problem to me, and it could be running on the wrong octain level or have the wrong mix in the carb and be running too rich or to weak. but the symptoms that you describe happend to me twice before. 1st it turned out to by a starting motor believe it or not and 2nd it was breaking down plugs or leads. If one plug or lead breaks down, it can cause the whole engine to die in some cases. This is not common as usually the car will just run rough, but if you don't know the history of the car, it could be that simple. My HB goes a bit like that if you leave the choke on for too long. When I start the car to run now, I run it for at least 15 mins as I found that running it for just a couple would make it run rough and even soak the plugs so that you could not start it next time you tried.

Is the car the grey-silver estate that was on ebay? and if not, which one was it.

Hope this helps.
AUTOMAN

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:14 pm

if you can get the car to Grantham i can have a look. Otherwise if you can get it to John Sharpes he might have a quick look if thats closer.
Carl
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby psl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:59 pm

it was the grey one on ebay (very nice colour). Just shows you you should never rush in when your really desperate to get a viva, as this was the only one going at the time, i had to have it.
Getting it anywhere is going to be hard at the mo as im due in for an op soon (first of many, so they say). I`ve just pushed it to one side (not me some mates) covered it up and i`ll have a think on it.
Would love to take it to John Sharps but i dont think i could stretch to his hourly rates somehow.
May have to have an open day where i welcome bods for a weekend of beer, darts match and curry in turn for a few hours spannering on my heap, when the weather get better. I`ve got all the bits to fit on it and the interior is near new, just this running and boot/door rubber issue letting the water in
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:07 pm

I would be up for that one afternoon, as you say when the weather is better. if its covered up it should keep the weather out hopefully.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:19 pm

Get it sorted lad, and whilst your at it, make room for a couple of mine that need large hammers and or tiny tweezers to get them running fine....

The problem I have is knowing which tool to use and where.... :D :D
pbottomley

Postby psl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:46 pm

i can just about get one more car on if your really in need lad.
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical