help needed on hc viva

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

help needed on hc viva

Postby aussie hc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:46 pm

I posted this in the general forum, but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I own what is one of only a handful of hc vivas in australia. as such it's nigh-impossible to get parts, particularly body panels and trim etc without being able to source them from the UK.

One thing that shouldn't be that hard though is sourcing the mechanicals because of the popularity of the Holden Torana. Unfortunately, i have no idea what parts from what model Toranas are interchangeable with the HC.

If anyone can help with information it would be geatly appreciated on interchangeable mechanical parts or with a good place to get affordable parts in the UK it's be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Joey
aussie hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:50 pm

I think the basic place to start might be to say the sort of part your after, there are 1,000's of parts in a Viva.

lots of parts are common to other cars as well so it might be possible to source those parts from "say for example" VW to get an alternator etc.
pbottomley

Postby aussie hc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:50 am

good point.

mechanically i'm wondering if there are engines and gearboxes that are straight swaps and whether the front suspension is the same.

i know i'm out of luck with body panels, but things like a new dashboard and seats are things i need to hunt down.

thanks very much
aussie hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby vivaspeed » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 am

HC Viva in Australia - how did that get there?

Parts overview - anyone correct me if I'm wrong

HB Torana and HB Viva were the same, minor trim differences

LC Torana 4cyl with 1800 was an odd-ball - I've only ever seen one - but had the same engine and gearbox as an 1800 Viva HC, similar suspension too I believe - has got 4 stud wheels so probably the same.

Then the Aussies realised the 1800 was rubbish :wink: and put in the 6 cyl engine and gearbox, with much bigger everything underneath and 5 stud wheels... from then on it was all different except a few bushes and springs (use 6cyl LC lowering springs in any 1800/2300 Viva).

If you've got a 1256cc HC Viva you're between a rock and a hard place, no panels or body bits, no engine bits apart from what is similar with the 1100cc HB If you've got an 1800cc HC then you should be able to get some mechanical parts from somewhere but still no body parts.

This side of the Tasman we have an abudance of parts, all the mechanical bits got a protective coating of leaked oil, while the bodies rusted away :)

Good luck...
'67 HB 2 door, SL90, 1159cc
'69 HB 2 door, Toyota 4AGE 16 Valve
vivaspeed
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby aussie hc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:33 am

thanks very much for that. at least now i have some idea.

apparently the car was privately imported as new and has only had a couple of owners before i got it. i believe there are about another five or so getting about throughout the country, but not sure how many four-door hcs there are.

i do indeed have the 1.2 but will happily do an engine swap if i can find something that fits easily.

finding an hb torana is getting pretty hard, but from what i can see the body wouldn't be that much use for an hc. i've managed to get a couple of headlights and a new grille from the UK, but postage costs really restrict getting bigger items like dash or panels.
aussie hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby aussie hc » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:52 pm

i guess the other thing i can look at engine wise is a swap. do any other vauxhall engines bolt straight in (or with minimal fiddling about)?
aussie hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby CUL8R » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 am

CF befords would be a good source for Mechanical parts...
(2.3 4cyl) Im sure you must have some of them over there...

Also I know of a few viva's rusty away down here, what parts in particular are you after..

Regarding the 4cyl Torana's I know of about 4-5 that have been for sale awhile back. They used the Opel Engines didnt they, if thats the case, What are the chances that the 2.0 Holden Commodore (vc-vk) Opel Motor or from the Holden Sunbird would be a bigger version of the 1800 abeit bored or stroked...

Cheers,Chris :twisted:
CUL8R

Postby xwv2300 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:37 am

1800 and 2300 vauxhall engines were slant 4 ( TIPPED APPROX 45%) opel engines are upright 4s and share no parts, thats not to say they wont fit, the 1.9/20 opel engine was fitted to the kadett while we had the 2300 engine in the chevette hs, and there both basicley the same shell ,so should fit a hc ok.
if fitting a 2.3 bedford engine in a hc you will need a hc 2.3 engine xmember and sump, gearbox etc.
the hc has quite a big engine bay so choice of engines should be easy but if hard getting parts uprating brakes and axles for the bigger stronger 2.3 may be a problem.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby aussie hc » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:09 pm

thanks very mmuch for the info - it's all handy.

the cf bedfords are a rare breed over here as well. i haven't seen one for at least a few years, but i'll definitely look out for them but the crossmemeber will be a problem.

i love the hc and, if possible, want to keep it going with the 'proper' parts.

in particular i'm after a bigger engine than the 1200 in it - a 2300 would be ideal - and i'm in dire need of a new top section of the dash board. the australian sun made mincemeat out of the plastics and it's cracked to buggery.

the other parts i need i can get away with non-originals but it's the mechanicals that are the problem. i'll probably need some new brake cylinders too.

if i can work out how to do it i'll post some pics of the car.
aussie hc
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Mechanical