Brake problems!

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Brake problems!

Postby Jammz_R » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi I have a problem with my brakes and it's starting to annoy me now :cry: The symptons are that the pedal sinks to the floor when you apply the brakes and the car only starts to pull up when the pedal reaches the floor! You really have to stand on them to get it to stop.

I think I have tracked the problem down to the servo as there is fluid leaking out the back of it, coating the shaft and filling up the rubber bung that goes between the servo and bulkhead.

I have replaced the front pads, fitted new Goodridge braided brake hoses and checked for any leaks anywhere and also the metal pipes seem fine.

So do I need a new servo, or master cylinder, or both???

The car is a 1978 HC Viva, with lockheed master cylinder and calipers and a Magnum back axle with lockheed wheel cylinders.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received :D
1978 Pinto Powered HC Viva
Jammz_R
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby xwv2300 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:31 pm

Hi that will be a leaking master cylinder, the servo holds no fluid but ofcourse the brake rod runs though it to the pedal, i`m pretty sure you can buy a repair kit for the master cylinder which will have all the new rubber seals in it which should be all youll need unless there excess wear on the cyinder itself then a new unit is the only way to go, i`m sure adrian stocks most if not all these parts through the club.
xwv2300
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Be aware that fluid in the servo can rot the seals so clean everything as well as you can before re-assembly.
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

also a brake problem

Postby Addy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:37 am

I have magnum running gear on my viva hc and when i brake the car pulls to one side is this as simple as new pads or have the disks warped or something??

Thanks
Addy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:04 am

Could be a seized caliper in the side that doesn't pull up, or contamination on the disc, or a problem with the brake pipe for that side on the front. I doubt it would be warped discs - that usually appears as a vibration under braking rather than pulling to one side.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Addy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:20 pm

ok thanks for that, spoke to adrian today and he confirmed along the those lines, thanks for the info.
Addy
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Jammz_R » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Cheers for the advice, I have checked the price of a new master cylinder from Adrian and £45 seems reasonable, probably easier than trying to rebuild the one I have currently, I never seem to have much success with brakes :(
1978 Pinto Powered HC Viva
Jammz_R
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby griffonmark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:59 pm

When you fit the master cylinder change all the brake fluid while your at it to get rid of the *Bleep*. Its well worth it. I bought one of those new fangled eezibleed kits and it was the best money I ever spent. You bleed the brakes perfectly in no time at all without having to have your nagging wife pumping the pedal. It uses pressure off the spare wheel and costs under £20.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical