HA engine issues

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HA engine issues

Postby pbottomley » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Right here one for you all

Got my HA back off Kelly and its not very well, ticks over okay, no oil in water, oil a lttle low but nothing to be concerned with. Mayonaise in oil cap but has been doing loads of 1 miles trips.

But now when you drive it, once you reach 20 mph + its hickups like a bad one, and continues to do so until you slow down, doesnt seem to be lower than normal on power. But I can see smoke from the exhaust that never was there before and the tail pipe is black with soot!! (cannots ee colour of smoke as its dark)

Checked the HT leads the cap points etc... all seem okay

I am not able to do anything else tonight but ideas for a go at it tomorrow welcome.

Ideas folks.?????
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Sounds like too much additive in petrol to me paul, tank it up a little and then rev, but add no additive, run petrol through and then see what happens. Ha engines are so simple and the car has just done its first long trips for ages, so this will have drawn a load of *Bleep* through and with the additive and cleaning agents that have come through that is what will be wrong.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby cossieviva » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:31 pm

sounds a bit over rich to me paul try looking at air filter if not check colour of plugs then the usual stuff points condenser etc etc
cossieviva

Postby hbpeter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:25 pm

Make sure the breather from the rocker cover is clear, the mayonasie *Bleep* can block it. Otherwise sounds like its running rich, check ignition timming as well see if that has slipped. Or on a more miserable note, burnt valve, knackered piston rings, do a commpression check.
Peter
Reading between the lines, dangerous if your waiting for a train.
hbpeter
Register Rep

Postby griffonmark » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:53 pm

The exhaust shouldn't smoke. I cured mine by stuffing a spud in the end and now no smoke comes out. It has an extremely quiet tickover but the top speed has been reduced to 0 mph. It uses hardly any fuel (none in fact) and every now and then you get a delicious jacket potato smell. mmmm nice.
griffonmark
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical