HELP REQUIRED

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HELP REQUIRED

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Well fix it me here has given up, depressed with three dead vivas on drive.

1/. HA Grey, drained and washed fuel tank out, fitted another carb (old one was like glue inside) new fuel lines, removed fule pump and checked it over, but car still dead ? (pour petrol down carb car fires first time??)

HC estste carb issues will not start, replaced babay carb with CD150, but think carb need rebuild, also no choke cable clip (lost it) drove iot form Wales back to here so know it shoudl work LOL

HA blue, starts easy no hickups like a bad one... Drove to London last weekend, no does 25MPH max... awaiting keys so i can start it and do compression tests to rule out rings and valves (cross finger) but it is more liklu a RICH mix and or timming is out.

I can change an engine, fix axles, swap a water pump, fit and interior, but this electric and carb things gets me everytime, unable to get head around timing a car (got to get it started first !)

So deal is, I need person or people to come get them running in exchange for Bacon sandwichs and tea/coffee and good friendly chats.

If you can get one or more started and sorted for me I will pay for yuor Viva Club fees for 2007 myself (thats £21) I know its not a lot, but maybe I can swap soem parts with you as well?

HELP :? :?
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:08 pm

Paul,

The carb that was on the Emma (the green HC estate, for those that did not know her name), had just been rebuilt before I let you have the car. She was running rich deu to too much additive, so should have cleared by the time you got her home. That is why I told you not to put any in before you left here. Try reffitting the orriginal and then getting it checked, as one of the jets may have become blocked. the carb as I said was just refurbished correctly, but the car had been standing for some time, so may have had a little *Bleep* in the fuel tank.

Ian.
AUTOMAN

Postby psl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:35 pm

which weekend is the bacon butties on offer?
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

HELP REQUIRED

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:37 pm

when are you and others availble thats the issue.. I work around yuo guys :D
pbottomley

Postby psl » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:06 pm

im fully booked up now for at least 2 weekends, Er maybe Feb or March Hmmm
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vx-mike » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Paul, I can chuck me tools in the back of the pick-up and come over to have a look at this mess you have got yourself into. No promises on the outcome though, but nothing tried nothing gained. - Brown souce on the bacon sarnie and stong tea no sugar. I'll be there between 9.00 and 9.30am this coming Saturday 27th Jan. Regards Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

HELP REQUIRED

Postby pbottomley » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Mike a welcome offer... BOOKED!! Bacon on shopping list

As an update, pulled the plugs out of cheesy (just as the rain came!!) and they were black and sooty. It says in my haynes book: it will cause weak mixture and exentually misfire (yep thats the issue) cause over rich mixture. so I tried to clean them but it was pouring with rain and i couldnt find me wire brush LOL. I know for a fact the carb has the wrong jets in it. but I have other baby viva carbs, all old and un-known spec.

In other news: Taken the carpets out of the car as they were sodden, and re sealed the windshield, as it was leaking a lot (imp screen rubber fitted, and too small inthe corners.

Hopefull will use the carpet as a template to get another set or three made.

Not tried the other cars yet, cold windy and wet
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:08 pm

A big thank you to Mike Stanley and Clara for this mornings fun and games... We have the bonnet on the estate sorted, and the green estate (emma) running now.

New carb, leads, points, condensor, LT lead and coil sorted it out. FINALLY

SO big thanks for the selfless act from Mr Stanley in fixing Emma and to Clara for keeping us in check :lol: :lol:

Just Marvin to go now....... almost a whole working fleet 4 out of 5 cars now running MOT'd and Taxed.. most need tweaks and odds sorting but getting there
pbottomley

Postby AUTOMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:15 pm

Well done Mike and Clara, the club spirit is realy starting to take off now and it makes me proud to be a member. I am glad to hear that Emma is up and running again, Jake will also be pleased. What next Paul, I feel another purchace coming on to catch up with your collection of 5 cars. Emma needs a good run now to get her in the mood for the shows and for either Kelly or Clara to use.

Ian,
AUTOMAN.
AUTOMAN

Postby Clara » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Thank you Mike for teaching dear sweet Paul the basics in car tinkering (12 :P )

(I've only just got home having been distracted by Uncles broken down 4 x 4 - point and laugh people point and laugh)
Three cars, two fire engines, one steam roller, a wheelchair, and various sized hammers.... what could go wrong?!
Clara
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to Mechanical