HELP REQUIRED

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Postby psl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 pm

good job it stayed dry for you all
psl
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Good news: the green car starts now, well sort of .... coil all sorted, wired all sorted, new relay in car for the starter 12volt supply a nice job as well.

Car runs well (not driven it yet !) but it just refuses to starts unless i us a tiny tiny tiny (did i say tiny) spray of easy start then its off first time?

So its got to be the NEW carb in the car,,, more tweaks me thinks.

On sideways news will need an alternator and the bearings have gone on the one on the car, its get red hot in about 2 minutes... LOL

:D :D

so all in all almost ready for a road trip WOOOO not bad for 5 months work
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I dont expect the right answer but maybe soemone has a good suggestion, on the issue of the car starting.

As I said earlier, it needs a squirt of "easy start" and down the carb to make it start...... once started its 100% fine.

Can rules out 100% all of the following: electrics, ignition, plugs, oil , water, fan belts, starters, solinodids, coils, leads, points, condensors, dash wiring, exhasust, fule lines, fule pumps, the fuel itself.

This leaves just the "NOS" carb, its been set up with 1.5 turns from stop ... now I was going to twiddle with this once I get it back on the road to cure "too lean/ too rich" settings and the "billy Idol" stop for tick over speed, but seems pointless when he car will just not start EVER unless I use the "east start " as described.

One can crank it for 5 minutes maybe 2 full batteries and nothing happen, a single spray of easy start and it fires first time.... is this the sign of a blocked jet or soemthing ?
pbottomley

Postby Firenzaboy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:48 pm

You say you can 100% rule out all of the aforementioned items - have they all been replaced with new ones?
Basically,if all is new,you have a good spark,and a good fuel supply,she should go with ease.
If not all parts are new,are you sure the fuel pump is not a tad on the lazy side? Once the car has been started,does it then start ok?? Is the problem only noticable/relevent when the engine is cold and hasn't been ran for a few hours/overnight???
Does it try to fire at all without the easy start?
More info please mate! :wink:
Dave
Firenzaboy
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby shamm » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:13 pm

Does a squirt of petrol down the carb get it to start as well?
Steve Hammond

Two 2.3 Viva's, one 2.3 Viva Estate, one 2.3 Magnum estate, half share in a 1.6 Viva auto, and no time (HC183)
shamm
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

HELP REQUIRED

Postby pbottomley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:45 pm

To both questions... once car is warm will laways restart first time.

And yes a small drop of petrol has the same effect, as easy start.

E.G when the car is cold forget trying unless yuo have easy start or a drop of fuel for the carb.

Dave, new parts not all over, the fuel pump is old, but have taken it off and squirted fuel in me face (by accident) so know its working a treat, everything else looks fine to me, mike standly an a local sparky who sorted the coil out.

weird one puff of easy start and she is off, otherwise forget it???
pbottomley

Postby bulldog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:03 pm

has anyone messed with the tappits [ adjusted them up too tight ] or is the valves sealing on the valve seats without any leaks? and is the piston rings good(i would've thought they were good) when the engine is hot it will give better combustion so it will start better. adding more fuel or easy start whenthe engine is cold will give it a better combustion. you will have to give it dry and wet compression to test for any of these.
mike
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to Mechanical