oil pressure

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

oil pressure

Postby nigel24 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:40 am

I have a viva hc which has been sitting in my garage for some years with out being started, i recently decided to try and start it. I did all the primary checks, and to my amazement the engine spun over okay. But, the oil light would not go out, and the oil pressure gauge i have fitted did not register so i know the switch is not at fault.

I have decided to change the oil and filter to see if this might have an effect on the pressure.
Does any one out there know of any other solutions to this problems?

regards,
Nigel. :(
nigel24
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:02 am

Possibly the age of the oil, though I did the same with my Sportshatch last year (which had stood for ten years) and got pressure. When you've changed the oil, I'd recommend you take out the spark plugs, get a good battery on there, and spin the engine over on the starter. After a bit, you should find that the oil pressure starts to register, then you can put the plugs back in and run it up to temp.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby pbottomley » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:40 am

drop a tiny amount of diesel down those bores as well and leave a day, ideal way to free off sticky piston rings.... no point turning it over if the rings all shatter !!
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:33 am

You might need to prime the oil pump...... If its been standing for so long, then the pump is probably completely dry and will not be able to suck the oil up the pick up pipe. Take the oil filter off and squirt some oil into the two holes in the block until they are full up. Refit the filter and try again. Its always a good idea to change the oil if its been standing for so long, you can do all sorts of damage......

Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical