Seat belts

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Seat belts

Postby slant4 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Does anybody know how the Kangol euroflex seat belt works . These were after market belts which were available in the late 1970s .The belts i have are in top condition as thay have not been used for over 25 years . But you can just keep pulling the belt off the reel , and if you jurk it to activate the ratchet as in moden cars it just keeps coming. There is a lable on the back telling you to mount upwrite and inside there is a pin with a lead weight hanging down, if you lift this with your finger the ratchet engages and the belt stops comming of the reel. Does anybody know if this is what happens when you crash or have an impact. I Kangol made magnetic belt at one time but i can find no magnets in this belt. Is this type of belt legal, and will it pass the MOT.
slant4
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby bulldog » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:20 pm

if you not sure throw it out. it if it fitted properally and do not lock then it a fail on the mot. ive got Kangol belts in my car and they lock instantly
mike
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:31 pm

Yea no point *Bleep* around when it comes to safety I guess.
pbottomley

Postby vx-mike » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:55 pm

Kangol made an after fit seat belt in the 70's that worked on an inertia mechanism that operated when the car decelerated quickly, a ball bearing rolled forward and activated the "ratchet". To function fully the fitting and set up was crucial. They were *Bleep* when new so I would recommnd that you dump them for something better.

Mike
vx-mike
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to Mechanical