Shift to electronic ignition.

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Shift to electronic ignition.

Postby Sweden » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi,

I have started to think about to go for an electronic ignition system. Anyone who have any expirience or can recommend a system for it. Are there other solutions then the lumenition system?

http://www.lumenition.com/

I have asked if the 123 ignitor system could replace an Delco Remy dizzy with an off-set peg but I don't get any reply from the manufacturer. A little bit expensive but far more options to control the ignition.

http://www.123ignition.nl/

/Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Electronic ignition research first!

Postby VivaPete » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:02 pm

Hi.
I would advise some research into what other cars share your type of distributor.
I referenced the manufacturers website and made a note of the part number for a 1256 Viva which is the same as an early Cavalier. Then cross referenced it with all other vehicles that use the same distributor and therefore shared the same part number such as some Saabs etc (Listed on thier website). Then on their ebay site I found which model vehicle had the cheapest price for the part. The same part number has different prices depending on what vehicle it is for.
I purchased one from thier ebay site for the cheapest listed vehicle application that shared the same part number and this cost £43 inc postage from the US !

I had emailed the manufactuer requesting a price they mailed back with a price of something like £120! So vastly differing prices for the same part depending on the vehicle it's for.
Hope this is usefull for anyone contemplating a purchase.
4 Door HB
VivaPete
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 am

Two of my Vivas run on Luminition, seems to do the trick....... Have another set ready to fit to Marvin (me HA) they are not cheap my any menas, but as I said they do the trick.
pbottomley

Postby Sweden » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi,

What is the cost for a complete lumenition kit?

/C
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Sweden » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:48 pm

I followed VivaPetes advice and have ordered the ignitorsystem and the flamethrower coil. (I didn't like the lumenition system where you need both external wiring and an external powermodule. In the ignitor system everything goes under the distributor cap)

Doing cross reference check it turned out that my dissy is the same as the one in the early spitfires with delco distributor.

I payed £80 for the whole kit including the coil and prioroty shipping, which is just about what I have to pay for the ignitorsystem only back home. (Just the ignitor with standard shipping would be a total of £62)
My only concern is if the customs put tax on it when it arrives. I bought golf clubs from the U.S. a couple of years ago and got taxed. :evil:

I checked today with a friend who have the same system in his Chevrolet Camaro SS, and it have worked flawless for him for years, so I took it as statement for the quality. Not that I will have the power in my car as in the Camaro, but still.. :wink:

For 100% security I will keep the old plate with points and condenser in the glovebox at least on longer drives in case something happens.

If someone else is interested here you have the adress. http://www.bpnorthwest.com

/Christer
Sweden
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:41 am

I have Lumenition on the hatch and the Firenza, and it seems fine. The only problem I ever had was mechanical, where the sensor plate in the distributor shifted at around 5000rpm, just after I'd overtaken a long line of traffic. Suffice to say that it needed some repair after that, and I spent the next five years carrying a spare distributor.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to Mechanical