HA brake mods (help)

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

HA brake mods (help)

Postby Cactuspete » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:22 pm

Hi from australia, sorry if i should have posted this somewhere else, but anyway: How on earth do you keep finding enough drum brake shoes to keep going? I am determined to get this viva on the road. My mums first car was an HA. It was from the dealer where my grandad worked. I have to have it, but these jolly brake shoes! All I can find seem to be old ones people have hung on to, does anybody make them? I can't get the car unless I know where the brake shoes will come from in the future, I have to drive it all the time if I get it, no spare cars, money supply inadequate!

Since there is (i believe) basically no hope of finding any disc brake stubs, has anyone explored the idea of adapting stubs and everything for the viva wishbones? Or modding the drum stubs to get some discs on them? Or using more common drums? Vivas are rare as hens teeth down here, HAs and HBs, and the torana that came after the HB i believe has significantly different brakes. Help! There must be a way!Can professional dudes make s one off set by hand? can I use paper mache? What about some kind of anchor? or ejector seat? I may not go fast enough in it to get a parachute to work.

Maybe I'll sit in it on the back of a truck and have my friend drive the truck and just pretend.
Cactuspete

Postby pyoorkate » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:59 am

Iirc it is possible to get brake shoes relined. Not having ever had it done I don't know how expensive or effective the shoes are afterwards, but I've been told it's possible.

Of course, someone who's actually got knowledge can come along in a minute and tell you where there's a huge supply of HA brake shoes :-)
Kate E
Distressingly becoming the owner of a fleet of vehicles
pyoorkate
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:39 pm

Brake shoes are avalible try PM'ing "PSL" he will be able to point you in the right direction of suppliers.

Had yuo discs on the front then conversion kit s are avaible to modify the car to modenr discs ands braking perfomance, but not cheap ! :D
pbottomley

Return to Mechanical