Tickover

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

Tickover

Postby pbottomley » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Well I kow have marvin running, but what is very strange is The engine will not run unless I have the choke out, and worse still is that the tickover (if you can call it that) is around 2000-3000 rpm and its slows down to 1000 or so rpm backfires then speeds up to 2000-3000 rpm slows backfires etc... seems almost to have a life of its own!!

Ideas welcome or bacon Sandwichs on offer for the right fix :D
pbottomley

Postby bulldog » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm

airleak?
mike

1972 firenza 2000 sl turbo
1969 HB 1159 2 door deluxe [Fungus]
1968 HB 1159 2 door sl90
hc 325
bulldog
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Stu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:15 pm

Dirty Carb (throttle plate/air piston)?
Stu
1971 1159cc Vauxhall Firenza
Stu
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Kat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:19 pm

airleak's a possibility... choke full on makes mixture richer, only way to get a mixture that'll burn if there's air getting in somewhere where it shouldn't.

A sneaky one that caught me out once...

...airleak from knackered brake servo. Disconnect the pipe from inlet manifold to servo and block the manifold 'ole up to check that one.
Kat
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 am

Paul

Zenith dowdraft or Stromberg ?

Blocked Main jet on Zenith, choke gives fuel and raises revs.?
Still sounds like an airleak. As Kat said, check servo vacuum hose and anti return valve. Also check Crank case/rocketcover breather valve is not stuck open.

TTFn
Tony(HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:31 pm

Tony:

Its a Stromberg 150CD, the car (HA) has a servo fitted, and at the minute I am running the car with no breather fitted nor air cleaner (so i can see whats going on)

I think I will just disconnect the servo, and refit the whole manifold etc (as i have a non servo manifold, which wioll test the air leak theroies) I will also change the rubber diapram in the carb and let you all know the outcome.
pbottomley

Postby lambaj » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Also check the vacuum signal hose from near the insulating carb plate to the vac advance unit on the Dissy. Also make sure the throttle linkage is not badly adjusted so as the engine rocks about, it opens and closes the throttle..... Broken return springs on the carb throttle spindle are not uncommon. I expect it is not the diaphram, blown diaphrams result in nothing more than a tickover as the dashpot does not lift.
Also check carb insulator has not been cracked by over tightening, and that both gaskets are fitted.

I've never heard of a non-servo manifold. All "90" powered cars had disc brakes from factory, so all had servos as well. You can always just block off the vacuum port.

Good luck
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to Mechanical