clutch noise

Tips and help requests for your cars mechanics. points gaps, timming settings all those sorts of things

clutch noise

Postby nitro-slug » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:42 pm

i have just finished fitting a new engine to my ha van, whilst doing this i fitted a new clutch kit, everything is fine except when the clutch peddle is pushed to the floor the clutch squeels, this only seems to happen then the van is stopped and not once its moving, it almost sounds like a worn bearing but as its new a wouldnt have thought so and the fact it dosnt do it untill it fully depressed. any ideas on what could be causing this noise? i dont really want to be taking the gearbox out to replace the clutch again
ha bedford van
nitro-slug
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lambaj » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi

Did you replace the spigot bearing ? This lives in the end of the crankshaft and the input shaft of the gearbox goes through the driven plate into this bearing (actually a bronze bush). If this is worn, the clutch can make some very odd noises when operating. Took me a lot of work to lean about a 50p bit of bronze!

Else it might be a loose spring in the plate, but what ever the case, its a gearbox off jobbie.
Good luck
Tony (HA21
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby nitro-slug » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:32 pm

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking rather hopeing it wasnt, do you know were i would get a spigot bearing? it wouldnt make any difference that i'm using a chevette 1256 engine in my 1983 ha van?
ha bedford van
nitro-slug
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby viva2300 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 pm

Before you whip the box off again, just check the adjustment. Try adjusting the clutch up then down a bit at a time then trying it. I'm wonering if you have adjusted it too far. I had a similar thing happen to me, & i managed to adjust the problem away.
Paul
S. EAST AREA REP
1972 Viva 2300 SL 4DR
1973 Viva 2300 SL 4DR + one on paper.
1973 Viva 2300 SL EState
1973 Viva 1800 SL 4DR not for long
1971 Viva 1600 SL 4DR AUTO
1974 HP Firenza Droopsnoot

TOO MANY CARS NOT ENOUGH MONEY OR TIME
viva2300
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby nitro-slug » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:50 pm

right i readjusted the clutch which didnt really seem to help, but i desided what the hell i'll go for proper dirve in it, i've done about 30 mile and the noise seems alot less well noisey, it now only makes the noise when the engine is cold and then if i pump the clutch a couple of times it gose, is i'm guessing that maybe there was/is some rust that i didnt clen off the flywheel/clutch cover that maybe rubbing off or the input shaft of the gearbox is just bedding to the spigot bearing. i went and looked at the old engine, to remove the spigot to measure it so i could fine a replacment but foud that there wasnt one fitted any ideas why? but anyway thanks for your help
ha bedford van
nitro-slug
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby lambaj » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:27 pm

There should always be a bearing on the OHV engine, it is a phospher bronse bush, and is not always obvious if its covered in crud. Some people expect to see a convensional ball bearing race, but the viva does not use on of these. It is possible this is the cause of your problem - ie the input shaft has some burrs or general wear on it from where is was rattling about in the end of the crank.

Reading posts above, it could be that the thrust release bearing is a bit stiff (ie new thick cold grease) and is slipping on the clutch splines. It could be a few hundred miles will looses it all up and you may be fine. Heres hoping!
Tony (HA21)
"Ere look - thats one of them Mk2 Vauxhall Cortinas....!!"
lambaj
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby nitro-slug » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:44 pm

yeah i know there should be a phospher bronze bust in the crank as there was one in the chevette engine i fitted, which felt ok when i ran my finger round it but in the engine i took out theres nothing??? and as far as i kno the old engine has never been out the van as its only done 17000 and been off th road since 1990 so i'm gussing there was never one fitted so i'm thinking maybe there is no wear on the input shaft so now its fitted to a spigot bearing its quite tight?? dose anyone think i could be right? or any ideas as to why the original engine wouldnt have been fitted with a bearing? could it be because it one of the very last off the producton line (1983)? everything else on its abit mix and match.

i drove it into work today about a 50mile round trip and only got any noise for abutt 30sec on startup so it dose seem to be sorting it self out
ha bedford van
nitro-slug
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby nitro-slug » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:48 pm

if anyone is woundering why i would cange a engine that has only done 17000mile, well it broke a exhaust rocker post and before i knew what had happened it had caused the rings to break and damaged the bore
ha bedford van
nitro-slug
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Return to Mechanical