Is my viva overpriced?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Is my viva overpriced?

Postby steve_1984 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Having trouble selling my viva, had a few people look at it and tried selling it on ebay only to have non payers bid on it.

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=27237

Is it overpriced? Wrong time of year?

Any advice appreciated.
1968 HB Deluxe :D
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Is my viva overpriced?

Postby rizzo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:36 pm

From a buyers point of view it does need work doing on it, ie clutch bearing etc, big job for some, peeps like to get in and drive without any issues for that price i would say, although its a buyers market and there has been alot of HBs being offered of late.
Ebay is a good place to get your car noticed but the fact its advertised on there is an invitation to all time wasters and scroats to crawl out and waste your time, have you got it advertized on all the classic for sale sites?
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:12 pm

As Rizzo says fix the bad bits - or drop your price to £2500 :goodideasign: - fitting the headlining would frighten a fair few off and another group would baulk at doing the clutch release bearing and sorting the locks out. There are a lot of Vivas for sale relatively so yes its a buyers market :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby edgoose1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi. i was the second bidder on the car and did not win. I have bought another Viva now a HC but would have bought the car had i won it. I think Fred is correct. It looks a lovely car but the clutch release bearing and headlining will put people off. Not big jobs but none the less have to be costed into the sell. I am sure the clutch could be sorted in a garage for a couple of hundred pounds. Not a long job to drop the gear box on a Viva. better to get that done and as Fred says a buyer can drive it away happy.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby steve_1984 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:48 pm

I appreciate the advice but the reason im selling is because im fed up of working on it. I just want a car i can use regularly without much hassle, the reason i bought another hb is because it's pretty much ready to use straight away.

At 3k I'm still losing money so reluctant to drop too much more. I would have thought people that want a viva wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty.
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:18 am

steve_1984 wrote:I appreciate the advice but the reason im selling is because im fed up of working on it. I just want a car i can use regularly without much hassle, the reason i bought another hb is because it's pretty much ready to use straight away.

At 3k I'm still losing money so reluctant to drop too much more. I would have thought people that want a viva wouldn't mind getting their hands dirty.

That is the Catch 22 of car ownership - they typically cost more to restore than we can get out of them. My GT I ended up paying about 10 cents on the dollar for what the original owner had into it - which was more than 3k. Reluctantly I have to say the market will tell you what it is worth and not what you have into it. (I have approximately 50% more into my MG than what it is worth but don't tell my wife!)

This is doubly true if it needs work.

sorry.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby lord13 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:52 am

Yes it is overpriced...but then I think everything is overpriced ;)
This sort of pricing is effectively killing the classic car market, at least at the entry level, the younger end of the scale. To me, your viva i a nice clean example needing some work, jobs that can easily be done, but the jobs themselves can put people off, especially the clutch although that is the easiest to do. The headlining will be expensive and a *Bleep* to do as it needs the glass out to do it properly and the door lock is an MOT fail and will need a new lock probably, not easy to source. All this points to is an MOT'd viva in fair good condition, which I myself would happily pay £600-£1000 for. A bit low? Well thats because i think these overblown prices that people are asking for viva's are killing the cars. Back in the day, when i started my viva journey, viva's were free... even GT's didn't get over 2k and that was fine, just about what it should be, but now, all these massive prices are forcing people out of the game, rot-boxes on ebay for 1k plus??? ridiculous. Less viva's will get restored, used and loved, because people simply cant afford them, why pay around £5000 for a viva when there is far better and more exotic machinery around to be had for that price? The grass roots viva-ing is no more, it is now the pass time of the middle-class, and as such is killing the model. Don't get me wrong, I guess if you can get the money that you want for your car then great, fantastic, super....but you can't can you, not so far. Drop the price a little, or get the jobs done. It's simple...even if you do just the clutch, it will only take you an afternoon.

I'm not here to cause offence, I just sit here fuming at the way money drives everyone . . . classic car dealers are to blame largely i think, they stick an over inflated price on an old knacker, some idiot pays it and everyone else thinks 'oooh .... i can get a lot of cash for my old viva' and then it starts, and you get honest sellers like the OP trying to get at least in the ball-park of these prices and is sat left with no one wanting his car... whereas if he had a more realistic price on it it would fly out the door....probably to a classic car dealer who will double the price :x

I guess that's the way of it these days... but there you go, I'm not bitter ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:39 pm

I have to agree, its the same over on the facebook side of things, all anyone want to know is how much is it worth before i stick it on ebay...

basically i dont give a *Bleep* about the viva i just want the money to buy the car i really wanted, i was juts using this viva as a way to profiteer.

cana change people as they are all arseholes, one just has to learn to ignore the fools after their dream cars which at the end of the day are no diffent to a viva just have a oval blue badge on it.
pbottomley

Postby steve_1984 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:34 pm

I know what you're both saying, but if they were still a £500 car they would all be getting bangered! On the other extreme there is a hb on ebay for nearly 7k... Everyone has jumped on the classic car bandwagon, making old cars out of reach for most people.

I really dont fancy the headlining, especially as i've just had the rear screen out and without much help. I'll end up cracking the screen or something. Its on lots of classic car sites and alot of fb pages where people aren't afraid of taking engines out but still not had enough interest.

I'll give it a while longer and drop the price again and see what interest it gets.
steve_1984
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 am

i know a lot of banger racers, they wouldn't dream of spending £500 on a car to race, they usually get theirs given to them or pay around the £100-£150 mark. There's much more modern and, more importantly, stronger, rubbish out there to smash up they don't usually bother with the old stuff anymore.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion