Happy Easter All!

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Happy Easter All!

Postby jpsmit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Shortly heading off to church and then 18 for supper! Hope it is a day of blessing and joy for you and yours!

JP
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Happy Easter All!

Postby GAV » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:04 am

Went to the Maldon Power Museum in the Viva.
Horrible day and on arrival the steward said to park in the public one, as that was the entrance I went through.
I suggested to be with the Clacton Club I would need to be on the actual field.
OK the guy was a volunteer buy reckoned to park up and walk over the Bridge to the Museum. I decided as it was like a quagmire, to keep going and leave if necessary as I was more interested in the show than Museum.

The actual show entrance was near the exit but I didn't see any other folk from this vicinity.

However some were going, I had stopped to ask directions in a Sainsburys and parked next to a shovel nose Pontiac Firebird.
Also having given way to a glorious La France(Le?) American fire engine that turns up at most of the local shows. and got a siren sound as a thank you, followed by a Morris Minor,
Some sodden bikers the leader I was behind from a Lexden Colchester roundabout waved me past, had had turned left at a juncture after Tiptree, and I went right down through Heybridge, however I got there around 13.15, and a little later the Harley Riders arrived.
Later some cars were having a job getting out mainly powerful ones but a friendly Chevette owner and my Viva got out OK albeit the rear wheels were a a spinning its wheels and fishtailing, like doing an autocross, its wheel spinning its way out. ( way back in the 90s involved in the American Vehicle scene)I was once treated to some spectacular doughnuts in an aquaintances 'Corvette Stingray. at Knebworth -much to the Chagrin of others- the 427 bib block , was identical to a late T Tops one Image[/url]Obviously stock Vivas have nothing like the power to weight ratios, of a 68 Vette.
That guy and another in a later Yellow one a 454, got out before the grass got really muddy, todayImage at Maldon.but many had to be pushed or towed out.
Others of note were a Zephyr Ute and convertible a 30s Y Type Ford Tourer, a load of TRs all 6s bar one 3.Image

I felt very sorry for the band who latterly were playing to a very limited audience.
Last edited by GAV on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:48 am

Thanks for that - such a rainy place you all live in - just a completely different world - when I think of the number of drivers I know who literally remove their wipers - and then read of being towed off the soggy field it boggles the mind. Sounds like quite a day!
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby GAV » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:06 am

jpsmit wrote:Thanks for that - such a rainy place you all live in - just a completely different world - when I think of the number of drivers I know who literally remove their wipers - and then read of being towed off the soggy field it boggles the mind. Sounds like quite a day!
:thanx:

Well the pic with the police car in the background was after I had got soaked however on the main roads the wipers, despite a new motor, could barely cope,
I ride bikes too and as I had a Pacemaker defibrilator installed, last November, could not drive/ ride for a Month, and I have been making up for lost time(yet again in Sunny if cold days, however I am so glad I wasn't out on one today.

I have bought a little open top Scimitar SS1 and after putting the Viva in my rented lockup, actually I did go there on a Yamaha after I brought the SS1 home,and came back on a Chinese made runaround one, and kept dry..

Trouble is not only do the pop up headlights on the sportster not pop down but the drivers door electric window wont go right up, the hood is not a lot of cop either and (well apart from that she goes OK after some fettling) however the wind is a whistling and the rain keeps a coming, now why was it one was trying to sell the Viva
Yep got it, to sponsor the construction of an arc? :goodideasign:
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:34 am

Weston Park - Motorfest - in Shropshire was a bit drier but got very windy - typical end of March Easter Sunday.
Managed to enjoy the day but the gazebo took a battering :roll:
Thanks to Marcus for carting the Club Stand kit - even though his Viva was "otherwise engaged" and attendees Geoff,Bev and family, David and his mates, Nathan and his parents, and Henry and Partner for supporting the Club Stand.

It was nice to see a DAF 66 - rare beast -
and a Garage find Sportshatch which various people (including myself) have failed to liberate over the years - hopeful it will get the restoration it deserves :P
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Colin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Really glad to see Sports Hatch PLC502R rescued from that open garage! Keep us all posted about the restoration. :D
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby GAV » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I seem to recall not only HS Chevettes but at least one Sportshatch in a Hertford Garage, I think Vauxhall went over to the Chevettes particularly for rallying and after the demise of the Droop Snoot, used wheels and shovel nose all in a sort of Vauxhall version of aubergine, or maybe apositely midway between that and the Mauvish Magenta my old Dolomite Sprint was in.
Also I remeber one of the Wheelie cars at Santa Pod was a Silver, maybe Sportshatch, it was a good while back, and that continuos undivided side rear window of the HC Estate, made for a very nice balanced profile.
Talking of which the first Camaro was like a Viva on Steroids and shared the coke bottle shape.
Despite being a former member of the Pontiac OC my preference to that over the sister car The Firebird sort of changed when the Bull nose was announced.
Then it all went wrong with that G Awfull Burt Reynolds Bandit T Topped Firebird. Well like the Dodge Chargers in the Dooks of Hazard and the huge bumpers on the Gran Torino and white stripe were maybe quite suitable for those watchable escapist Starsky and Hutch nonesence. :imsmiling:
As America can never leave well alone they just had to add that ghastly Fireboard DeCal, and I reckon this one is so much nicer, a matter of taste maybe, Good or badImage
Last edited by GAV on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:40 pm

jpsmit wrote:The number of drivers I know who literally remove their wipers

We do a similar thing here, but with our sun visors!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:10 am

Kraken wrote:
jpsmit wrote:The number of drivers I know who literally remove their wipers

We do a similar thing here, but with our sun visors!

:) LOL - love it! For what it is worth no visors on mine but there are wipers - and it does leak through the dash not the roof! (The Midget that is)
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:13 am

GAV wrote:I seem to recall not only HS Chevettes but at least one Sportshatch in a Hertford Garage,

Wasn't Gerry Marshall's garage, Marshall Wingfield, in that direction somewhere?

[quote="GAV"'Also I remeber one of the Wheelie cars at Santa Pod was a Silver, maybe Sportshatch, it was a good while back, and that continuos undivided side rear window of the HC Estate, made for a very nice balanced profile.[/quote]

The chap who owned WXE, the original Sportshatch from the 1974 Motor Show, used to use it to tow his drag Firenza "Sweet Sixteen", it was painted silver with a blue stripe back then to match the drag car.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to General Discussion