Government petition

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Government petition

Postby edgoose1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:46 pm

You do have a point Fred about making sure our cars are safe. I just think trying to change something that is to benefit us is just going to open can of worms. If i was to buy or sell a classic that was MOT exempt i would insist it has a road worthy / mot test before i bought or sold. Yes there may be some that will dive an unroad worthy car, it will not stop them just like the thousands of people who drive with no insurance or licence. What ever the law will be we will have to accept it. I will also have the brakes checked etc if my car does not require an MOT. I just remember one year i wailed because the washer jet was not working .....
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 am

Can someone tell me how this benefits or supports classic car owners?

Unless you have a got an original car I can't see any benefit.

Surely classic and modified owners should be sticking together on this issue.
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

OK, this is going to be a point of contention for most people i believe . . .
we also do not have all the facts so most opinions will be based on hear-say . . .

so here goes...
may 2018 - all 40 year old cars will be mot exempt, excluding 'overly' modified cars. There is the 'grey area' , what's 'overly' modified and in whose opinion? Equally important point, how will they know?
Well, when you apply for tax, you will be asked specific questions which will help the faceless ones decide wether you qualify for VHI mot exemption or not. Simple yes? So if you do qualify all is well, but if you don't, you just have to MOT as normal...right?

Er no, I don't think so. Because if you DO NOT qualify for VHI, you have a modified vehicle that is either under 14 points or so substantially modified that it falls below 8 points going by the IVA system that is in place. even just simple mods can remove your 8 -14 point status, like a tunnel mod to clear a gear lever, or even just dampers, springs, brakes and steering, these will be the points the will seize upon and you will be presented with an IVA form, and a Q-plate looms, a modern Q-plate, NOT an age related Q-plate. Now your vehicle is not a classic, is not subject to free road tax OR mot exempt, and you will not get classic car insurance.

So...why tell 'em? why not, when the question looms, say 'oh no, my car is not modified in any way'...
Because your insurance, and your car, instantly becomes invalid, your registration is a lie, it has not been type approved and will get crushed if caught. And it will be caught, as AC owners and other such clubs are finding out, their owners clubs have been 'requested' by the powers that be, to provide any and all data to their cars pertaining to rebuilds and restorations to prove, with receipts, that the cars are still classics and deserving of their original plates. Some of these top-end motors have already been allocated Q-plates and are now classed as replicas because they are the automotive equivalent of the ship of Theseus ( more commonly referred to as 'trigger's broom'.
I have actually had this point pretty much confirmed to me by an official at the DVSA in a letter after I requested clarification.
The point is, originality is nigh on impossible, the parts you use in a rebuild must be at least 25 years old and carry a letter of authenticity from an owners club, otherwise they are new and therefore a 'modification' of sorts, and will require type approval 'in-situ' (IVA). I abandoned a restoration of a Ford Model Y because of this legislation, as to get the registration back was going to be impossible, as was an age related plate as I had rebuilt the chassis exactly to specs (almost, but that was ok), but was told there 'wasn't enough ford' in it. It was therefore a 'Lord13 model Y'... so IVA and modern Q-plate.
This used to only apply to things like this, total rebuilds etc, but will almost undoubtedly come in to play for proving VHI status. So, and this is my prediction only, I believe that if your car is not VHI compliant then expect men with clipboards wanting to inspect exactly why it isn't :(

did i go off topic? I did didn't I? sorry chaps :/

Anyway, I don't think signing either will make a blind bit of difference, they will do what they want to do regardless, they did when they proposed this farce of the MOT exemption in the first place, more people said 'no its a bad idea' but they went ahead anyway . . .
So, re-shelled your firenza? IVA
Fitted bigger brakes and coil overs? IVA
Swapped out your axle and fitted rear discs? IVA
15% power increase? IVA
Old Nail kit on your magnum? IVA
Nosecone on your estate? IVA
Rebuilt to original specs with all new parts? IVA
Rebuilt to original spec using old parts, and new old stock? Y'all best get your receipts in order or it's an IVA
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am

Sorry...it's a bit gloomy over here in Grantham, we don't get let out much ;)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:03 am

As you say Mitch they will do as they like but to stand up and protest will at least have a better chance of influence policy than doing nothing.
Your scenario sounds like "jobssworth" :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby edgoose1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am

lord13 wrote:Sorry...it's a bit gloomy over here in Grantham, we don't get let out much ;)

Do you live in Grantham ?
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Your scenario sounds like "jobssworth" :wink:

Yes just a bit, I'd've liked to resurrect the old Ford, but alas not to be :(
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby lord13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 pm

edgoose1 wrote:
lord13 wrote:Sorry...it's a bit gloomy over here in Grantham, we don't get let out much ;)

Do you live in Grantham ?

Sort of . . . moved around a bit since i was last in the club and living in Buckminster, various places in the vale and a quick sojourn in PBO, now residing in a sleepy village just off the A1 a little south of grantham. Grantham is our stated post town anyway. :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Still unaware of the potential benefits mentioned in a previous post..........................
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby pbottomley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 am

you answered your own question in your previous post... ON ALL COUNTS....
pbottomley

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion