Government petition

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Government petition

Postby vauxhallbitz » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:11 pm

Interestingly enough, our club has just received a very positive response from a national Classic Car monthly regarding our concerns. They will be covering this issue in next magazine.

Too little too late I fear and I wonder how many of us did not really appreciate the seriousness of what is at stake and if we had, we might have been able to try to do something about it.

I think that this is the thin edge of the wedge and we will see some serious restrictions in classic car useage in the future.

Just my opinion, I hope I am wrong..................
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Bob perry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Had a chat recently with a neighbour who is a member of American car clubs and VW clubs. Discussing the mot situation, he confirmed that almost all of the Members he had met were strongly in favour of continuing and MOT check, for peace of mind, if nothing else!

He also pointed out a remark from an insurance broker Member, who pointed out that any accident incurred, with a classic vehicle, could result in the asking of the question "when did a professional mechanic last inspect this vehicle?" A response of "I do my own maintenance" would not hold up, and probably make the classic owner liable by default, whether at fault or not!!

Wise words, and worth thinking about!!
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Got Peggy MoTed today - no advisers :P - my tester says he can still do the MoT - just wont be a legal requirement.
There is a bit in CCW about the FBHVC has managed to get the DVSA to rethink their guidance on modified Historic Vehicles :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby vauxhallbitz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes our club has today received a very positive response from DVLA and they have agreed to take our views forwards to next weeks meeting.

Reading between the lines things do not look as bad as first thought, fingers crossed.....
1958 CA Bedford Dormobile (Porthole)
1960 Vauxhall Cresta PA
1975 Vauxhall Viva E Coupe
vauxhallbitz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby daveh » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Basic roadworthiness check is proposed by many but the point of stopping the mot nonsense was because it is impossible to come up with rules for this. Brakes for example are not applied to all wheels from the footbrake on some older cars. A few years ago my HA had to be modified from spot to continuous welds on the sills because of MOT rules. Emissions are difficult, even some older cars had headlamps that mechanically dipped the nearside and extinguished the drivers side one, and wipers, even windscreens etc. are an issue. Even things like being failed because the mechanical washer pump retrofitted doesnt pump enough water,,, ridiculous
We all know when our car is at a point where it is as functional as possible, we all know that things can and do go wrong, we all can surely be intelligent enough to not request nanny state sticks her nose back in just in case someone somewhere decides to be an *Bleep* wipe. In all honesty those you worry will drive wrecks will drive modern wrecks too gas and do damage anyway so stop asking for nanny state to run your life
daveh
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion