Another GT appears

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Another GT appears

Postby jpsmit » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 am

My local car club (British Saloon Car Club of Canada) has a weekly email newsletter - incuding "for sales" This week included a GT! (This would make it the fourth in Canada that I am aware of.)

Just got off the phone with the owner - he bought it from the estate of the original? owner who stored it for years - says it has original tires/ body is in great shape/ engine turns over and even the tank is clean and empty. He found the original chrome wheel caps in the glove box - but can't start it or open the trunk as the keys are missing.

Interestingly, it is listed as being a 1971 (I believe they only came to Canada in 1970) - making me think it was tagged for the year of sale - and, he says Automatic! He is sending me some pics.

It is in Medicine Hat Alberta - and he wants $3000 CAD so, while it would be a daunting adventure, I will bet you could have an original Canadian GT parked in your drive for about 6000 pounds.

Hmmm :D
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Another GT appears

Postby timbuk » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 pm

wow how cool surprising its a slushbox but cool where are these pictures!
car guy from canada
timbuk
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:50 am

timbuk wrote:wow how cool surprising its a slushbox but cool where are these pictures!

when I get them - you get them
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby GAV » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Could be wrong but dont recall there being an auto option of the GT in the UK.
Either way Happy New Year to Viva owners everywhere,
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:26 pm

The period Canadian brochures definitely don't show auto transmission as an option for Viva / Epic GT, so either a later conversion or possibly not an original GT?

Could you possibly copy and paste the email newsletter advert J.P? I would love to see this car!

Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 pm

Therein lies the problem - he pulled the ad - I presume because of Christmas and (he said) because he was getting lots of calls but not interest. He has promised me pics - nothing yet, but I will text him again in a day or so.

It's LeMans Blue - I do know that.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am

Colin wrote:The period Canadian brochures definitely don't show auto transmission as an option for Viva / Epic GT, so either a later conversion or possibly not an original GT?

Vauxhall did do special one off orders which were not listed as options.....front headrests on some UK spec HPF Firenzas and Sportshatchs? Opening rear quarter lights on UK Magnum coupes....at least 2 were fitted with them. I know of 1 Sport SL that was built after production had officially stopped because the customer didn't like the Magnum spec.....

So an original late model automatic GT may not be too far fetched.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby timbuk » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 am

wowwow wow hope he sends them to ya
car guy from canada
timbuk
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Colin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:36 pm

1972nail wrote:Vauxhall did do special one off orders which were not listed as options.....front headrests on some UK spec HPF Firenzas and Sportshatchs? Opening rear quarter lights on UK Magnum coupes....at least 2 were fitted with them. I know of 1 Sport SL that was built after production had officially stopped because the customer didn't like the Magnum spec.....

So an original late model automatic GT may not be too far fetched.

True, David. Here for example are a couple of pictures of a UK spec Viva GT finished in Canada and South Africa only Tasman orange (the black stripes confirm it's a Tasman car).

These anomaly cars did exist - or rather sometimes 'happened'. I remember in the 70s my Dad occasionally found himself issued with company cars which were on the staff fleet because they'd been incorrectly spec'ed at production. So an auto Viva GT is perhaps not beyond the realms of possibility...

Apologies to the happy young couple. I hope they've had a great life! I bet they didn't guess their London mews home would now be worth millions!
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:17 am

Well, it is back up again - A little rougher than his description - though it looks solid enough.

cheaper now too.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/me ... nFlag=true

pics:

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to General Discussion