Another GT appears

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Another GT appears

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 am

jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jpsmit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:21 am

Looks like it is standard - and while appearing solid, it does seem to have some filler missing from the hood - as well as the trim around the scoops.

Different side signal lights than I have seen (on mine for instance) and the reverse lights are vertical.

still...
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 am

jpsmit wrote:
car 3.JPG

Well, that solves the automatic / manual conundrum at least.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:51 am

Yep, seems to be manual Ok.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Not only is it standard and original - even down to the original paint - it's also complete.

Those side lamps and vertical reverse lights look correct for Epic / Viva GT. The only apparent difference between Epic GT and Viva GT is the badge and the central grille divider - missing on this Epic.

At $2500 Canadian (about £1500 GBP) it's also a bargain. I would buy this car in a heartbeat if it weren't 6000 miles away. Unfortunately, J.P, it's also about 2000 miles from Toronto. if it were closer to you I would send you the money and ask you to buy it for me! :lol:

This ultra rare historic Vauxhall most definitely needs saving! :goodideasign:

Click on this link and scroll down a little way for Epic / Viva GT brochure pictures to confirm this car's originality

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... pic-canada
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 am

Colin wrote:Not only is it standard and original - even down to the original paint - it's also complete.

Those side lamps and vertical reverse lights look correct for Epic / Viva GT. The only apparent difference between Epic GT and Viva GT is the badge and the central grille divider - missing on this Epic.

At $2500 Canadian (about £1500 GBP) it's also a bargain. I would buy this car in a heartbeat if it weren't 6000 miles away. Unfortunately, J.P, it's also about 2000 miles from Toronto. if it were closer to you I would send you the money and ask you to buy it for me! :lol:

Click on this link and scroll down a little way for Epic / Viva GT brochure pictures to confirm this car's originality

Well I would be happy to go look for you - just PM me your banking details. :goodideasign: I have the round side lights - though maybe I do have the wider ones as well - now I need to look (though will likely keep the round ones as they are more delicate)

$1000 to get it to Montreal - $2000 to the UK (CAD) and Bob's your uncle
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby GAV » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Trawling through an Epic Envoy site the main differences apart from the 4 lamp grill was that Canadian GTs had head restraints on the front seats and door cards that were more like Deluxes than SLs showing the metal along the top. Also the reversing lights were later set apart inboard of the main corner ones.
Also I have come across pictures of GT versions of the Wagon/Estate which we didnt get in the UK Maybe they could be had via special orders at a price maybe thats why I’ve never seen one..
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 am

GAV wrote:Trawling through an Epic Envoy site the main differences apart from the 4 lamp grill was that Canadian GTs had head restraints on the front seats and door cards that were more like Deluxes than SLs showing the metal along the top. Also the reversing lights were later set apart inboard of the main corner ones.
Also I have come across pictures of GT versions of the Wagon/Estate which we didnt get in the UK Maybe they could be had via special orders at a price maybe thats why I’ve never seen one..

I stripped a car a few years ago and while the engine was missing - it had the hood scoops but the owner swore it had a 1600 cc engine making me think that if GM had a buyer, they made it work.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby GAV » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

The 1600 OHC really didnt do a lot more than a 90, except for giving more torque for towing and using more petrol/ gas. I met a couple at a show a couple of seasons back who had a 1600 Automatic SL ( quite a rarity)that the guy’s Father had bought from new, and his wife apparantly had an 1159 Deluxe( not present)which had the disc brake option.
This I discovered after the chap came over whilst I was taking a break from wandering around . I had seen the 1600 on one such circuit of the show field, but no one was with it ,likewise the owner had looked over my ol gal whilst its owner was absent.
The later 1800s were better possibly but a 1600 owner might take issue, and going on a Transcontinental Victor I had with the 2300, the torque in that was great for towing so would imagine it to be something else in an HC, like with my Victor rendering gearchanges on the move virtually redundant.
Another car I had likewise was a Triumph Vitesse 2 litre and somewhere I have a comparison test betwixt a Saloon Version ( MK2) and a Mk2 Viva GT. Acceleration and top speed were on a par, however a very good friend with a GT( same Green as the test car) reckons he finds himself looking for another gear, a problem I do not have with my OHV Deluxe.
Even so I enjoy driving it because it handles so well and that snappy gearchange the stock and 90 versions had took some beating.
There is not enough power to make the drum brakes an issue and unlike modern stuff you have to drive it.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 pm

jpsmit wrote:
Colin wrote:Not only is it standard and original - even down to the original paint - it's also complete.

Well I would be happy to go look for you - just PM me your banking details. :goodideasign: I have the round side lights - though maybe I do have the wider ones as well - now I need to look (though will likely keep the round ones as they are more delicate)

$1000 to get it to Montreal - $2000 to the UK (CAD) and Bob's your uncle

It's a very kind offer, J.P, but I couldn't ask you to fly 2000 miles to look at a car for me! :lol:

Besides, after adding your expenses, and with import duties and other sundry transport costs - to get the car to my hobbit hole in the Shire in England - I think it might start looking more like $8-$10K Canadian (£5K - £6K GBP) in reality.

I wonder whether the Vauxhall Heritage centre might be interested?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion