MOT

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

MOT

Postby hbr341 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi
Took my viva HC for its last MOT as its a 1972 will not need another one after the changes in may all passed ok as i drove away it didnt feel right clutch felt strange etc drove 7 miles home when i got home popped the bonnet open and i was shocked to see the engine over to the side and resting on the cross member both engine mountings snapped off must have happened as they drove on and off the rollers to do the brake tests if i had known this i would have towed it home instead of 50mph down the duel carriageway i was lucky.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: MOT

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Ooh err Chris - and you with your new crisp MoT certificate - would you be wanting a new pair of engine mounts then? :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbr341 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi Fred
Thanks for that but i ordered a set from that well known site flea bay as i need them asap Thanks again Fred.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Ok hope you did not pay too much - I cant deliver if you don't ask - one of the benefits of membership is access to the Parts scheme. :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Bobby Dale » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Wow Chris
Which MOT station is that I will try and avoid that one ?
Bobby
Bobby Dale
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:24 pm

I would doubt that driving on or off rollers or the action of the rollers would break the engine mounts. I would suggest that they tried to jack the car up on the sump rather than the cross member.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby fistfullofV5's » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm

1972nail wrote:I would doubt that driving on or off rollers or the action of the rollers would break the engine mounts. I would suggest that they tried to jack the car up on the sump rather than the cross member.

I tend to agree David.
Regards, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah that would do it David - as they get older I have noticed they do start to separate from the metal.
I would certainly go back and have words with them - seems like potential negligence plus having created the damage they let an unsafe vehicle out of their workshop.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby hbr341 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi
It was MOTED at Halfords Newton Abbot the thing i noticed was the rubber came away from the metal part of both mountings and had rust between so the mounting would have been week 46 years have taken there toll .I will be in touch with Fred as i will need a new set for my HB in the future and a few other bits thanks.

Regards Chris.
hbr341
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Kraken » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Ouch, did it cause any more damage?

Perhaps a reminder for those of us that may be putting off replacing our engine mounts... (I'll be in touch soon Fred!)
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion