Fuel Cap

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Fuel Cap

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 am

Anyone else have the problem of fuel leaking out of the cap on the HC when going round a right hand corner ? Any replacement fuel caps or fixes available ?
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Fuel Cap

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:17 am

There's a rubber ring as part of the fuel cap, you could have a look at the condition of that and see if it looks as if it needs replacing, cut a new one from a piece of suitable rubber if it does. You can just pull the rubber ring around the tabs to remove it. Also the "tabs" on the fuel cap that locate into the filler can sometimes bend so that they don't pull the cap against the filler properly, so maybe see if they can be adjusted carefully to bring the cap closer.

Is it the standard cap, or a different one? If it's not a standard cap, has someone fitted it with a cap that contains a breather? That isn't required on Viva as it has a separate tank breather pipe.

Are you sure it's coming from the filler and not from the breather pipe? I take it there are fuel marks under the filler on the rear wing?
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:00 pm

You're driving too fast and cornering too hard! I'll tell your mammy... :lol:

I've had the problem on some cars and not on others. The problem is much worse on the 8 gallon tank than the 12 gallon tank as it sits up higher in relation to the filler inlet.

I never really found what the exact cause was but my fix was to fit a suitable sink plug and bung it in the pipe. I kept the chain attached and was able to pull the plug easily to fill up. Worked a treat.

Another solution is not to fill above 3/4 full.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:54 pm

CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby HC Fairley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I assume it's a standard cap have seen it on two or three others including a sportshatch. Even at 3/4 full or would still leak over the rear wing that's how I'm sure it's the cap itself. Yes David I've scraped the chrome off the door handles round roundabouts lol :D
HC Fairley
GT Viva
GT Viva

Return to General Discussion