VHI Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: VHI Question

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:56 am

Good try guys - I think I will leave it on MoT :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby VampireTigger » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 am

Mine is having door mirrors fitted then mot
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I have just taxed my 1969 Viva but I disagree I would have to get my Exhemption if choosing not to re MOT it. Academic as I shall do so, however on line it shows my Vivas details as Historical Vehicle, unlike one that is just coming up with that age relations vis a vis exhemption of VED.

Also mentioning that it was handy to have the months grace last year after I needed to fit some new rear brake pistons, that aborted its first test last May, but was going to Ireland on a bike for the NW200 races, a Cresta owning friend ordered some off EBay on my behalf and whilst I opted to come home before heading for a Scottish tour, they were awaiting so fitted them and got the car MOT d in the interim, so at least it was legal roadside during my absence.
I discovered that same bike I squeezed into a Kangoo van for that trip ( also needed a rear brake part for this year as it failed on such with the months grace period) , and despite trying a second hand Master cylinder, the part difficult to source,that new rules dictate that if a vehicle is taken early to preserve the anniversay date and fails is then technically illegal to ride or drive or have re MOTd within that interim period.

So a back in the van scenario just to be safe, not sorry...

I was discussing that during a visit to Kersey Mill Suffolk, for drive it day ,in my Classic Viva and when asking when or if this was ruled in a second party reckoned it was already enforceable as had the initial source.

I intend to contact the DVLA to find out all of the above.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Resulting from various press statement on VHI - and particularly an article in "The F J Times", delivered with this weeks CCW, entitled "Is Your Vehicle a Vehicle of Historic interest?" In the article it goes through the process of VHI Declaration and starts by saying :
"To declare your vehicle you must complete a V112 declaration form available from the PO"
This implies all 40 and 40+ yr old vehicles but in my understanding only applies to vehicles which have had modification within the last 30 years in order to establish if the modifications are significant enough to prevent MoT exemption.
To this end I asked DVSA for clarification:
Please clarify if there is a need to fill in a V112 Form to claim exemption from MOT on my Classic Cars and our Club Members classic cars which are over 40 years old and have NOT been substantially modified.
If we have to make this declaration how are we notified of approval? Is it something that has to be added to the V5C?
Reply as follows
Dear Mr Dukes
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 7 February 2019, concerning the MOT on historic vehicles.
Under new legislation that came into effect on 20 May 2018, certain vehicles constructed or first registered more than 40 years ago are now exempt from MOT testing, unless they have been substantially changed.
As long as the DVLA have a date of manufacture/first use on the vehicle record which shows the vehicle is over 40 years old, the on-line tax renewal system and other enforcement systems should automatically pick up that the vehicle is MOT exempt.
If, for some reason, the system is still not allowing a vehicle to be taxed, there is also a V112 (self-declaration from MOT) application form that can be completed and taken to a Post Office.
The V112 was updated to show the above exemption on 20 May 2018.
I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Kind regards,
Elizabeth O’Connell | Customer Service Centre
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN
Phone: 0300 123 9000

So only use the V112 For if you are having problems or need to establish if a modified vehicle is acceptable for VHI /MOT exemption.
It would seem that an additional box on the V5C stipulating VHI or not would eliminate some of the confusion the seems to exist even if were only added at time when the V5C was renewed for change of taxation class/ownership.

Beware DVLA's default position is that all vehicles over40 yrs old are mark MOT exempt unless you tell them that yours is "substantially modified" If you don't tell them or you don't get an MOT in the event of an accident you could find yourself at odds with the Insurance Co.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Well it looks like DVLA are adding a few extras to your vehicle taxation request. I had reminders for 2 of my fleet for tax renewal - the 1st one I taxed was The Baron - which is 1972 - went through the usual process without touching the sides. I still have a formal MOT as it has been substantially modified
2nd one I taxed was Peggy - which is 1973 - as I proceeded I got a query " as the vehicle is more than 40years old has it been substantially modified in the last 30 yrs" - points you to their guidance on what is a substantial modification and then asks you to declare yes or no has it been substantially modified :wink: So you are now asked to make this declaration if you dont have a formal MOT when applying for tax - which is a change from the process I went through for others of my fleet which were re-taxed after May 20 last year.
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pm

The latest advise from FBHVC is to get your vehicle MOTed if you are going to take it abroad as it is the Internationally accepted indicator that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition. I know - you will tell me that it is only proved to be roadworthy on the day of the test but if it saves you spoiling your holiday maybe its best to have one rather than not :roll:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Previous

Return to General Discussion