VHI Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

VHI Question

Postby AccieMad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Probably been asked a million times but here goes.

My car was taxed in March and the MoT is July. Do I need to MoT this year (can you declare VHI other than at taxation time?). If I don't want to can I just SORN?

Secondly it has a 1256 and was manufactured with an 1159 is this a substantial change. Absolutely no idea when it was done.

Cheers

GT
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: VHI Question

Postby lord13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

As far as I know . . .

thought i'd best start with that, as the information keeps changing from day to day it seems, but I think you can apply to be VHI when your mot is due, It is just like changing your taxation class, you fill in the relevant form and send it off. I personally would change the taxation class as soon as it comes in rather than apply when your mot is up and have a lengthy wait with a non road legal car.

As far as the engine swap goes, it is not a substantial change, it is pretty much like for like and is very possible it will be ok. Fred's article in the new club mag has more detail on this, pretty much stating that any engine that the car could be bought with at the time of production may still qualify for VHI status... so in my eyes that says in the case of the HB, you could get away with popping a slant in there, but an XE or a V8 is right out :) Although as the 1256 was not available for the HB does this rule that out???

Reading the article again Fred states that:
"Engine- if the cubic capacity or number of cylinders is different from the original, it is likely to be but not necessarily, the case that the current engine is considered a 'substantial change'. "

But here's the good bit....

"except where the change is made using the same basic engine"

so any 1057, 1159, or 1256cc engine is ok as it is the 'same basic engine'

and...
'or alternative original equipment engine.'

So a slant :D :D :D

Although i'd say in the case of the HB only a 1600 or 2000cc one as no HB came with a 1800 or a 2300 so i'd hazard a guess that they are not allowed.
So all the GT owners with a 2.3 better swap that out for the original 2000 before the G'men turn up :D

everything i've quoted is from Fred's article, which I assume he got from the DfT or DVLA

hope this helps :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby AccieMad » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Cheers
HB 157
AccieMad
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Another interesting thought.... The Firenza was fitted with a 2500 straight 4 in SA as well as a V8, both Chevrolet engines......
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 pm

I would've thought it only applies for UK registered cars... but if that is the case where do you stand on imports? So as you say, worth looking into :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:04 am

I wasn't talking about imports, I was thinking more about fitting a Chevrolet V8 into a Firenza, it is an engine option available from the manufacturer in period.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby lord13 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am

yeah I gathered that, i was just thinking out loud about imports :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Note - the new MOT exemption rules do not come in until 20th May - if you tax is March then carry on as normal - you can only apply for VHI when taxing your vehicle so SORN it in June and then reapply for tax - you can then apply for HVI before the MOT runs out - personally I would just let it go for the normal MoT this year and wait for 2019 tax to apply for VHI as I will continue to have an annual test all be it not a legal requirement.
Regarding the 1256 instead of an 1159 that will not be considered a major change :wink:
As to when it was done you could ask DVLA when the engine size was increased and the engine number changed - assuming someone told them :goodideasign:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby lord13 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Only apply when taxing huh? Well in that case I think i will just wait till may 20th to tax the 4 door, she's close to mot standard but i can spend the next few months locking down all those little things that need doing and just apply for tax and VHI status in may. I will of course get a roadworthy check from my local friendly MOT man, just to have it on paper shes A-ok :)
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:53 pm

Hagerty Insurance have decided to publish their slant on what is required for MOT exemption - so fill your boots :roll:
https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/arti ... Apr_UKNews.
Something which they claim you have to do is request MoT exemption ever time you renew your tax :shock:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Next

Return to General Discussion