VHI Question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: VHI Question

Postby Colin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:27 pm

A useful, clear and succinct guide from a nationally recognised insurer. Thanks Fred. :)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:30 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Something which they claim you have to do is request MoT exemption ever time you renew your tax :shock:

I seem to recall that this is in the form of confirming that your vehicle is still eligible for exemption, a tick-box when renewing on line. I haven't been keeping an eye on the various comings and goings, I figured I'd read about it when it's all signed and sealed, my next MOT is not until October in any case so the dust should have settled by then.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby lord13 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Something which they claim you have to do is request MoT exemption ever time you renew your tax :shock:

Yeah... i think that is correct, but after the first one it can be done on line every time after that.
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Reading on the gov website regarding vhi's, it appears that any type of engine that was available for the car when it was new is considered not to be a substantial change, i,e the same basic design, irrespective of cubic capacity, so replacing the 1159 cc engine in your HB with a 1256 will be ok. The first time you apply for mot exemption, you will need to fill in a V112 mot exemption form, after that, you just declare that your car still meets exemption requirements each time you tax it
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Don't think I will get away with the V8 in the Baron then john :roll: Although they did use a V8 in the South African CAN AM 8)
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Don't think I will get away with the V8 in the Baron then john :roll: Although they did use a V8 in the South African CAN AM 8)

I think you would probably have to fit a Chevrolet engine to try to get away with that one. But the Rover V8 was fitted a lot of years ago.....oh at least 30.... :wink:

Just a thought, there are lots of cars out there which were originally OHV engined cars that are now fitted with OHC engines. The engine is not the same basic design but it was available as an alternative in period.

I don't need to worry about all this as the exemption isn't happening here in N Ireland....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:22 pm

The Morgan Plus 8 is 50 this year and was fitted with the Rover V8.
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 pm

But Fred's Firenza or any other Firenza for that matter wasn't originally fitted with a Rover V8.

The Rover V8 engine is at least 55 years old I would guess.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Yep, they bought it off Plymouth in the 60s
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Colin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 pm

The Rover V8 was a Buick engine, the 215. It was also used in Pontiac and Oldsmobile cars in the 60s. It was known as the BOP engine - for Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac - so at least it's an 'in house' GM engine.

Had history taken a different turn, and the HC (and FE range) continued to be sold through Canadian Pontiac dealers, the BOP 215 engine could quite easily have become an option for the Canadian HC Firenza... :lol:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion