Viva GT owners handbook

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Viva GT owners handbook

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Hello Folk

When was the last time you seen one of these :wink:
i had a very unusual find to which i would consider to be a rocking horse poop! It's a Viva GT owners handbook :D

just wondering if anyone has this book as well? Inside it gives some very good information about what lubricants to be used and the lubricant filling area's all round the car and just pretty much anything to do with the hb GT.
I always believed the engines would use a 20/50 oil, but from the book most of the oils it advises to use are either 10/30 or 10/40.

jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Viva GT owners handbook

Postby jpsmit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:02 pm

Lovely! amd, yes, I have mine as well.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 pm

I would guess that is a rare find too. I have a Firenza Sport SL owner's manual which is quite rare as well.

I would be cautious about the oils that are 'recommended' in the handbook. The recommended oil viscosity is directly related to the average temperature of the location the car is going to be used in, the expected coolant temperature (thermostat) and the driving conditions. So, in a Northern European winter on country roads you can get away with a lighter oil such as 10/30 or 10/40 but in warmer locations, with a lot of motorway driving a 20/50 would be a better choice.

It is also worth noting that the book was published in 1968, the very early years of the Slant 4, and subsequent experience has shown that the high compression Slant 4 really puts a lot of heat into the oil and oil temperatures can climb a lot higher that the original design temperatures.

Compound that with the fact that the mineral oils of the past are not the same as today's mineral oil equivalents. Largely due to environmental and emissions restraints, they no longer contain the additive types that gave them their very high temperature stability and the cold start protection that the engine was designed for back in the 60's. Today we find that a modern 20/50 mineral oil will struggle in protecting the average high compression Slant 4.

Have a read at this post on oil types for more information. :goodideasign:

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=26312&hilit=semi
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:28 pm

1972nail wrote:I would guess that is a rare find too. I have a Firenza Sport SL owner's manual which is quite rare as well.

I would be cautious about the oils that are 'recommended' in the handbook. The recommended oil viscosity is directly related to the average temperature of the location the car is going to be used in, the expected coolant temperature (thermostat) and the driving conditions. So, in a Northern European winter on country roads you can get away with a lighter oil such as 10/30 or 10/40 but in warmer locations, with a lot of motorway driving a 20/50 would be a better choice.

It is also worth noting that the book was published in 1968, the very early years of the Slant 4, and subsequent experience has shown that the high compression Slant 4 really puts a lot of heat into the oil and oil temperatures can climb a lot higher that the original design temperatures.

Compound that with the fact that the mineral oils of the past are not the same as today's mineral oil equivalents. Largely due to environmental and emissions restraints, they no longer contain the additive types that gave them their very high temperature stability and the cold start protection that the engine was designed for back in the 60's. Today we find that a modern 20/50 mineral oil will struggle in protecting the average high compression Slant 4.

Have a read at this post on oil types for more information. :goodideasign:

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=26312&hilit=semi

If i remember correctly.. either early this year or late last year, there was a firenza sport sl manual that sold around £150 on ebay.. or it may of been a firenza/magnum book.

Just spoke to my dad about the oils and he said a similar thing to you and advised me not to go for anything of the 10w/40 sort. But when i come closer to having the GT finished, i'll resort back to one of the experts on here like yourself and find out which oil is best! plus i need to change the oil in the diff, as i was told that it may of been done around 18-20 years ago :o

Thank you for providing the link and also lovely looking firenza by the way! i've seen a few of your threads and i've kept a keen eye on the electric distributor you're making from the standard item.. man of wisdom you're :D
Last edited by jamezz666 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:29 pm

jpsmit wrote:Lovely! amd, yes, I have mine as well.

Is your book identical? as i seen a slightly different book that is for the standard viva and the gt for the export market? :)
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Hmm - I think you have just been advised by one of " the experts on here" if you can find better advise please highlight it in due course :roll: :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Oh christ i just re read what i put :angrywife: I'll edit that haha i was in a rush while writing that reply!
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Hmm - I think you have just been advised by one of " the experts on here" if you can find better advise please highlight it in due course :roll: :lol:

I just re edited what i put, i meant no offence to 1972nail or anyone :lol:
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:59 pm

I am sure no offence was taken :lol: :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm

jamezz666 wrote:If i remember correctly.. either early this year or late last year, there was a firenza sport sl manual that sold around £150 on ebay.. or it may of been a firenza/magnum book.

I think that was the HPF manual, unless there was another I didn't see.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Next

Return to General Discussion