Viva GT owners handbook

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Viva GT owners handbook

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:I am sure no offence was taken :lol: :lol:

Quite correct, no offence taken....the man who never made a mistake never made anything!
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm

jamezz666 wrote:
Thank you for providing the link and also lovely looking firenza by the way! i've seen a few of your threads and i've kept a keen eye on the electric distributor you're making from the standard item.. man of wisdom you're :D

Thanks for the complement on the car, I must be honest and say that like it too. The programmable ECU ignition project along with the EFI project is a bit of fun at the minute and there are many other more straight forward ways to do it. I'm interested in seeing how I can use as many original and second hand parts as possible, make it look like it could have been made as a period 'factory' development project, make it look simple......now there's a challenge... and not make too many performance compromises along the way.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 am

jamezz666 wrote:
jpsmit wrote:Lovely! amd, yes, I have mine as well.

Is your book identical? as i seen a slightly different book that is for the standard viva and the gt for the export market? :)

I scanned it for the anoraks viewtopic.php?f=326&t=23604

of course, obviously it is written left to right and not right to left. :party2:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am

1972nail wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:
Thank you for providing the link and also lovely looking firenza by the way! i've seen a few of your threads and i've kept a keen eye on the electric distributor you're making from the standard item.. man of wisdom you're :D

Thanks for the complement on the car, I must be honest and say that like it too. The programmable ECU ignition project along with the EFI project is a bit of fun at the minute and there are many other more straight forward ways to do it. I'm interested in seeing how I can use as many original and second hand parts as possible, make it look like it could have been made as a period 'factory' development project, make it look simple......now there's a challenge... and not make too many performance compromises along the way.

What i like most of all, is in your restoration thread you're or have made the car to look like it was done at the time when people would modify them the way you have! It's how i like it.. that 70's / 80's throw back 8).
Would having an ecu and injection up the performance well? things like these you speak of, is the kind of things i admire.. because it isn't just a case of having modern items hung out everywhere, but a case of disguising modern technology within old.. it's brilliant! wasn't there a injection model of the victor made? i'm sure i read somewhere near to the end of production they made some injection models, but only a hand full are still alive. Because i wonder if the set up on that would be a good one to copy.

Good luck with your car and i'll keep watch on your progress :D
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jamezz666 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:25 am

jpsmit wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:
jpsmit wrote:Lovely! amd, yes, I have mine as well.

Is your book identical? as i seen a slightly different book that is for the standard viva and the gt for the export market? :)

I scanned it for the anoraks viewtopic.php?f=326&t=23604

of course, obviously it is written left to right and not right to left. :party2:

ahh gotcha :) i had a quick look yesturday through the anoraks topic and that's why i mentioned an export market book :lol: ahh right to left... just how the arabic's like it 8) with there vooxhall vivers :lol: sorry that was a very bad attempt at a joke :lol:
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby jpsmit » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm

all my attempts at jokes are bad attempts. :dito:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby Colin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 pm

Post duplicated in error! :oops:
Last edited by Colin on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Colin wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:
... wasn't there an injection model of the victor made? i'm sure i read somewhere near to the end of production they made some injection models, but only a hand full are still alive. Because i wonder if the set up on that would be a good one to copy.

Hi James, There was an injected VX 490 originally planned for 1975 and designated VX/E - which became the five speed VX 490 (note no / in the 490 model designation). It was designed to run Lucas fuel injection - which reputedly gave the car 150bhp and a 118mph top speed.

Unfortunately Lucas reneged on the deal to supply the 5000 fuel injection units ordered by Vauxhall at the price quoted, rendering the fuel injection model VX/E no longer cost effective and compelling Vauxhall to revert to twin Strombergs. This (with other issues) delayed the five speed VX series 490 launch until 1977.

You're right, about half a dozen VX/E development cars were preserved by frustrated Vauxhall engineers. I saw a very scruffy example at a show about 25 years ago, but I'm not sure if any of those development cars now survive. I think they were all 'broken to keep other cars on the road' :roll: by ignorant subsequent owners. Read about the VX/E here - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... -vx-series (it takes a minute for images to load)

Here are my UK domestic market Mk I and Mk II Viva GT handbooks. The Mk I cover is unfortunately 'slightly foxed'. I also have a Viva GT build sheet - but sadly it doesn't relate to any of my cars.

Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:17 pm

jamezz666 wrote:
... wasn't there an injection model of the victor made? i'm sure i read somewhere near to the end of production they made some injection models, but only a hand full are still alive. Because i wonder if the set up on that would be a good one to copy.

I've seen 1 photo of a injected VX/E engine a number of years ago but can't seem to find any now. I believe Silver Bullet had Bosch K-Jetronic injection at a time in it's development. However both the Bosch and Lucas systems are very outdated and difficult to repair or tune properly. So I'll be taking my own spin on the injection front but still not having it look like a load of modern bits bolted on for the sake of making it look flash.

As Colin says, performance increases are possible with a properly managed engine. Points, mechanical advance and carbs are really very crude devices and you really only get in the ball park with them as far as engine efficiency is concerned. If truth be told I'll be happy to get it running!

I also have a Blydenstien big valve head and a VF2 cam to fit so that's where the performance will really improve and benefit from better control of ignition and fuel.

This is not a Vauxhall engine but shows the type of layout I have planned for mine. Long inlet runners, plenum chamber and a single throttle body.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jamezz666 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:51 am

Colin wrote:
Colin wrote:
jamezz666 wrote:

Hi James, There was an injected VX 490 originally planned for 1975 and designated VX/E - which became the five speed VX 490 (note no / in the 490 model designation). It was designed to run Lucas fuel injection - which reputedly gave the car 150bhp and a 118mph top speed.

Unfortunately Lucas reneged on the deal to supply the 5000 fuel injection units ordered by Vauxhall at the price quoted, rendering the fuel injection model VX/E no longer cost effective and compelling Vauxhall to revert to twin Strombergs. This (with other issues) delayed the five speed VX series 490 launch until 1977.

You're right, about half a dozen VX/E development cars were preserved by frustrated Vauxhall engineers. I saw a very scruffy example at a show about 25 years ago, but I'm not sure if any of those development cars now survive. I think they were all 'broken to keep other cars on the road' :roll: by ignorant subsequent owners. Read about the VX/E here - http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... -vx-series (it takes a minute for images to load)

Here are my UK domestic market Mk I and Mk II Viva GT handbooks. The Mk I cover is unfortunately 'slightly foxed'. I also have a Viva GT build sheet - but sadly it doesn't relate to any of my cars.

20180221_190142 small.jpg

Hello Colin

holy moly! imagine that wopping 150 bhp straight from the factory! i wonder if Bill Blydenstein ever developed an injection system, or if he just prefered the carbs. It's a shame really that it never followed through, because now it would be a good period upgrade :) would be interested to know, if the 5 speed feels much different to the 4 speed? as i've read some old posts about people fitting a type 9 ford box, which didn't make sense to me if you could already get one for the vauxhall. I know now the zf box isn't a common bit of kit, but back then surely it must've been?

My brain just clicked.. I didn't think about there being a mk1 and mk2 hand book :lol: so i take it my book is for the MK1? I had read somewhere on the internet, about the build sheets being under the back seats, but unfortunately, mine is long gone.
jamezz666
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion