How much to respray

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

How much to respray

Postby edgoose1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:10 pm

I have decided to respray my Viva HC in its original colour. Just wondered if anyone has had a respray done recently and what sort of price ? i have a quote from the guy who resprayed my Magnum in the past.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: How much to respray

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 pm

I've had half an ear out for respray costs over the last few years, and the numbers I'm tending to hear are between £1500 and £2500, depending on where you take it, how much you can do yourself, and probably a load of other factors.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:45 pm

What Mick says is all good stuff it horses for courses Carl - if your lucky you get what you pay for - if you are unlucky you don't get what you pay for :shock: . If you are considering a respray just to change the colour think carefully what you want to achieve - if the paintwork is already good - and from what I remember it doesn't look bad I would leave it as is because to achieve a good lasting finish you are in the region of £3000 - £3500.
I know people say the cost is in the prep but if you do it yourself and you have issues with the sprayed finish you may save money but the Sprayer will use the fact that you prepped it for why it went wrong and he may be right.
The attached is a good re-spray :wink:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby edgoose1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Ahh yes i understand it is all different regarding cost on what is needed. I am not changing the colour as want it original. The door shuts dont need doing and they still have the original factory stickers on them. All i want is a total respray and take out the small dents and they are a few. There has been some bad diy paint repairs over the years it seems, where the colour does not match. The guy in Harlow i use has quoted £1000. So lets see what it is like ) i am confident he does a good job as i have used him a few times
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am

edgoose1 wrote:The door shuts dont need doing and they still have the original factory stickers on them.

That may sound like it will save some time and money, but it means that the painter has to blend the new paint to the old around the door shuts, and that'll be an edge where a slight colour difference might show.

Hopefully your chap has taken this into account. Sometimes if it's someone you know, you'll get a better price than a walk-in might.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby rizzo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:40 pm

What sort of job do you want, good enough or mint? how fussy or particular are you? the reason i ask is because painting is a bit like mending cars, anyone can claim to do it but their standard may be well off the guy up the road.
My bruv has just had two cars recently painted first one cost £3500 and was mint the second was good enough at £1500 both needed prepping, first place was a top bodyshop, quailty paint used, 2nd was a one man band in a farm unit, cheaper quality paint, Vat and no vat, there's alot to consider.
HB 1159 1968 10K White
HB 4000 1968 Green
rizzo
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Having seen your car last year at MH, I assume it's that beautiful green Viva Deluxe with perfect tan interior, it probably could get away with a good professional buff and polish with a few small areas of paint touched up. I personally would try to retain as much of the original paint as possible, rather than paint the whole car for the sake of it.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby edgoose1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes its the green one. And hence why i am not painting the door shuts. He will match the colour i am sure . It does need a full outer respray to make it right as thee are a number of scratches and dents. That said till not bad for 45 years old.
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Return to General Discussion