MoT question

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: MoT question

Postby Mike Attew » Mon May 21, 2018 3:43 pm

ADRIAN wrote:It seems there is some some confusion when there is actually nothing to worry about.

As from Sunday the 20th - ALL pre-1978 cars became MOT exempt, it all happened automatically.

I don't think they are automatically exempt, they have to be registered to be exempt. If you check your vehicles details on gov. it will state an MOT date if there is one, after it's registered it will state exempt as it always used to with pre 60 cars, you had to register them for exemption.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby GAV » Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Well I tried to see what happened if you filled in the online details, mine just came back apro po reg number as Vauxhall Viva Historical Vehicle, no tax needed till May 2019, no disrespect but I think Adrian is right.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Mine is due in June and is booked in on Thursday morning. The 40 year old exemption does not apply to Northern Ireland registered cars. :(
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Mike Attew » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 pm

GAV wrote:Well I tried to see what happened if you filled in the online details, mine just came back apro po reg number as Vauxhall Viva Historical Vehicle, no tax needed till May 2019, no disrespect but I think Adrian is right.

Yes, Tax will be fine if taxed but if you check on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ your date of your MOT will be on there but if it has been registered MOT exempt that is what it will say.
Mike
Mike Attew
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 am

Other Adrian was correct.

I taxed a historic Lotus Elan today where the MOT had expired last month. The site then displayed an MOT certificate exemption declaration page that asked me to confirm the car was over 40 years old and not substantially altered, I confirmed this was correct and the car was taxed.

The car has been in dry storage for most of the last 12 months and will go through a safety check should we wish to use it on the road.

Adrian :)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Gave the new system a try and tried taxing my HC 2300 1974 saloon on line - it is out of MoT and on SORN - put registration in and the 11 digit V5C number in the boxes - didn't see any box to tick for declaring unmodified - clicked continue and tax was declared successful for 12 months! :o - so what has happened to the "declare" box :?
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby ADRIAN » Fri May 25, 2018 6:32 pm

Thats just old age creeping up on you Fred !
HB 1
ADRIAN
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Here in NI my Firenza passed it's 4th ever MOT yesterday without a problem.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 am

I may have been having an age thing Adrian :lol: but if I didn't see the box to "declare" MoT exempt then I could not have ticked it in which case DVLA would still look for a valid MoT before giving me a years tax. MoT expired last Oct :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby VampireTigger » Sat May 26, 2018 12:15 pm

I’ve got a pair of Land Rovers I can try it on now ;)
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion