Firenza Rear quarter window seals

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Firenza Rear quarter window seals

Postby Icedmunkie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Has anybody got an old spare one for a Firenza. I need the profile to try and match up.
Not sure if the profile is the same as other models but if it is a bit will suffice from one of them.
Hope somebody can help.
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Firenza Rear quarter window seals

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:55 pm

There is a guy offering glass and used rubbers for £70 if you are interested - was on ebay but unsold - cant get a link
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Fred Dukes » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:00 pm

This is the Chap- he did not answer me when I offered him £50 but if you offer him the asking price of £70 he might accept allsortsmd_9
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:31 pm

The trouble with the profile on the fixed rear quarter glass is that it changes around the window - the profile along the vertical front edge isn't the same as the profile around the top and bottom ends. There's an L-shaped slot in the rubber along the top and bottom edges that the window frame clips into, which isn't in the front edge. That said, if you found a profile that had the L-shaped slot in it, it wouldn't matter if you had that along the front as well.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Icedmunkie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:This is the Chap- he did not answer me when I offered him £50 but if you offer him the asking price of £70 he might accept allsortsmd_9

70 seems steep. Were they in good condition?
Ideally be good to get some knackered ones and see if they can be made up
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:32 pm

It was the complete kit - rubbers - glass frames etc and they were on auction!
I have a pair of s/h which will do the job but may not be aesthetically pleasing :roll: The chances of getting these made up for other than a fortune I rate as slime :wink:
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby Icedmunkie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:26 am

Fred Dukes wrote:It was the complete kit - rubbers - glass frames etc and they were on auction!
I have a pair of s/h which will do the job but may not be aesthetically pleasing :roll: The chances of getting these made up for other than a fortune I rate as slime :wink:

Have you got a picture so I can compare them to what I have already!
All Smoke...... No Poke
Icedmunkie
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:27 pm

May I just say (with only partial reference to this specific thread) that, regularly, I see posts from people looking for a particular rubber profile - often a pic is requested, rarely does it come.

There is a place nearish to me https://spaenaur.com/ that sells different types of rubber - likewise MacGregor's for the more common marques (MG Triumph etc) https://www.macgregorukcarparts.com/

I would be happy to help facilitate any of this to further the hobby BUT we (the whole club) need to find a way to post pictures of what we are actually looking for - in a helpful way (ie dimensions or whatever)

So, just a plug for finding a way - maybe an unobtanium category or ??? to move this forward.

My 2 cents
JP

PS happy to pickup and send as part of that commitment.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm

jpsmit wrote:May I just say (with only partial reference to this specific thread) that, regularly, I see posts from people looking for a particular rubber profile - often a pic is requested, rarely does it come.

Part of the difficulty here is that the rear quarter glass rubbers have a different profile around them - the front vertical edge is different to the top and bottom edges. It's not just a case of finding a similar profile - multiple profiles and moulded corners are required.

But it's a fair point - I have a rear quarter seal that I could photograph and have not. I will rectify that soon. It's not very easy taking clear photos of something like a rubber profile, especially given that as much as I'd like to help, I'm not cutting through it to clearly show the shape.

And, I guess we get to a point where people will have to consider having non-standard rubbers and an alternative method of holding the frame in place, on the basis the wrong seal is better than no seal and car off road.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby jpsmit » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 pm

droopsnoot wrote:And, I guess we get to a point where people will have to consider having non-standard rubbers and an alternative method of holding the frame in place, on the basis the wrong seal is better than no seal and car off road.

I suspect we will - or already are - I bought from Macgregor the "sweep" on the outside of the door window glass - the profile is correct even though the piece is generic - the "bracket" is however smaller than original - while I haven't installed them yet, I saw a restorer on another forum who attacked his sweeps (on a Jowett) with adhesive, opening a new line of thinking that I had not considered.

I was able to buy from MacGregor the rubber to go around the doors. I just needed to provide him with a profile - so it is out there.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Next

Return to General Discussion