Vauxhall Heritage centre Luton to Close ??

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Vauxhall Heritage centre Luton to Close ??

Postby edgoose1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:14 pm

edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Re: Vauxhall Heritage centre Luton to Close ??

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:38 pm

That would not be the smartest move in the book :shock: The Classic Vauxhall community will be up in arms if the Heritage collection is broken up - it goes against the comments Vauxhall make about how important their Heritage is :evil: Maybe the VBOA meeting tomorrow will reveal more :wink:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby redfirenza » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:27 pm

The Heritage Centre, Griffin House & the Tech Centre have to be gone by October!! good old PSA
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:31 pm

No, it’s not closing. It’s moving.
Official announcement reported here:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby dann01 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 am

Relocation?... In Luton?... I wish them luck with that.
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby Colin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Griffin House, currently Vauxhall Motors headquarters site on Osborne Road, Luton, is being sold off. They are telling us the Heritage centre currently on the same site will be moved to another location in Luton.

The site is being sold for housing development.

This is a very sad day for me. I served my apprenticeship here - at what is currently Griffin House. In those days it was Vauxhall Motors & Bedford Commercial Vehicles product development, engineering and styling department.

Before me, my father worked at Vauxhall Motors in Luton from 1958 to 1978 - before being promoted to regional dealer management across the country until he retired from the company in 1999. When Dad joined Vauxhall the PA Cresta was new. He worked for Vauxhall Motors for 42 years.

Griffin House and the Heritage Centre is the last vestige of a once great British marque. Built in 1963 Griffin House is all that remains of the companies heart, although Vauxhall Motors as an autononous British motor manufacturer really ceased to exist in 1978. Everything produced since then has just been badge engineered Opel or other GM brand product badged as 'Vauxhall' for the UK market.

The Kimpton Road, Luton, Vauxhall factory has already been sold off to such a large extent that only the Vivaro van line at what used to be AA block now remains. 90% of the Luton factory has already gone.

I'm afraid Vauxhall Motors is now effectively consigned to history in all but name. It joins the pantheon of other historic British and GM marques. Very sad, but the world moves on. It's now the 21st century and Vauxhall was very much a 20th century flowering of British motor engineering. Only the name remains - on badge engineered world cars and vans - and I'm saying a last farewell to my childhood and youth. :cry: :cry:
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby edgoose1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 am

It is sad. But the collection will be rehoused ... i think
edgoose1
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby dann01 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Even sadder, is that nothing is safe... Everything today, and I mean literally everything in business comes down to the bottom line. Vauxhall may be paying lip service to the Heritage collection at the moment, but I fear that will change at some point very soon. Sooner, if they don'y find a home ASAP for it.

Dan
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Postby cooperman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:35 pm

I agree, my gut feeling is it's already been decided and the right words are being said.
cooperman
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 am

You're absolutely right, Marcus. The word 'consultation' is just a box to be ticked on the agenda - which in effect says, 'Have you consulted with the minions in compliance with planning legislation?'

The views of those minions will be ignored unless they concur with, and thus can be used toward achieving, the profiteering, careless grand plan.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion