Up loading photos

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Up loading photos

Postby 1972nail » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Broadband speed?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:18 am

Kraken wrote:I've never been able to upload larger than 800x600 as an attachment?

Also I can only upload 3 pictures in any one post, but I've seen you post more David?

Same here, Kraken. The site will only allow me to upload three images to a post, and I'm not sure how to go about uploading images in any way other than as an attachment? But, if I haven't resized the image down to 800 x 600 beforehand, this message comes up -

'The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. The submitted image is 2592 pixels wide and 1944 pixels high.'

As David says I wonder whether it's a broadband or browser issue?
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Johnboy HB » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 am

I'm in the same boat as you Colin, have to downsize pics & can only use 3 at a time
Johnboy HB
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am

Windows 10 and Google Chrome are what I'm using. Here in NI we have the fastest average broadband speed in the UK so I may just be lucky.... :lol:

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 pm

I see what you're doing Colin, you are just uploading photos as attachments and not placing in line with the text.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am

I also get a message about image size if I try to upload anything larger than about 800 pixels (I forget exactly what) in any direction - if I do, it just rejects the image and won't allow it to be placed in the message. I can't see how it's anything to do with upload speed - the image is uploaded, and then check for dimensions, and then approved or rejected.

In all honesty I prefer this to having massive images that have to download on my (relatively) slow mobile broadband connection and then resize themselves to fit - there are a few build threads now that I can't go in, because people post full-size images and they can take minutes to appear for me.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby 1972nail » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 am

I wonder if there is a setting on my Chrome or something else which automatically resizes images to suit?

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:00 pm

I just cheat, I post the pic to FaceBook and then post a direct link to the image on here ;)

Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 pm

The limit on image size is to keep the file storage on the site to a manageable level.. a 800x 600 image is about 1meg in size whereas most modern cameras do 12mega pixel or more which equated to about 10meg an image (or more). At the minute this forum has just short of 20,000 images (my calculator is too hot and bothered in this weather to work that out, but its a far size for a website)

Also three seemed a sensible amount of attachments to a post, if you want more say so (committee) cannot be open ended as that a classic way to bring the server down.

by all means use an offsite photo host like Flickr and link the pictures in :)
pbottomley

Postby droopsnoot » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Fair enough, you have to set a limit somewhere. Just seems a bit weird that David doesn't have the same issues in uploading images. I had a look around the profile options in case there was an "automatically re-size images" option in there - I can't see how a browser would know it needed to.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Previous

Return to General Discussion