Sometimes I drive myself crazy

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Sometimes I drive myself crazy

Postby jpsmit » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:41 am

As pretty much all of you know, I am 5 or 6 years into the two year project of restoring the GT. Yesterday some read the minor victory of finishing assembling the rear shocks and anti roll bar - which included drilling the holes for the brackets and making back plates to hold the brackets safely on both sides of the boot floor.

The idea of making the brackets and drilling and mounting them intimidated me for literally 10 months. When I finally bit the bullet, it took me about 3 hours all in (including fabricating and painting the brackets). Tonight I decided to keep up the momentum and start the brakes. When the car came to me, virtually none of the brake lines were still in place, so, no templates.

That said, when I went to unpack the brake box tonight, I realized that I had actually managed to have about 1/3 of the brake ends on the lines - and the lines are pretty much cut already, so, why the delay? No excuse really except time passes and as it passes it often gets bigger and bigger in my mind.

The crazy part is that I had borrowed a friend's brake flaring kit and lo and behold part of that was the gear to make bubble flares - who knew, so, everything is there now I just need to do it.

Why oh why does it take so long?! :new2_shrug:
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Re: Sometimes I drive myself crazy

Postby 1972nail » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 am

JP, I looked at my Firenza for over 30 years and wondered if I would ever start working on it again. In my case it was the original DTV GRP front wings. They were a very VERY poor fit and looked awful, so I didn't want to start working on the car because I knew I would have to tackle them. As time went by in my mind they became the biggest and most difficult job to be done..... more anxiety!

Anyway, to cut a long story short I settled my mind that I would get the rest of the car to a state that the wings were the last thing to tackle, that way the work I was dreading began to to become quite insignificant as the overall goal was being realised.

In the end, they still needed a lot of cutting, re-moulding, shaping and bad words to get them done.....
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am

I've also suffered from the anticipation being worse than the job - in fact all through the recent hot spell I've been dreading putting overalls on and actually doing any work on any of the cars. Of course, once I actually started it wasn't so bad, and I actually got some stuff done.

In some ways I've taken the opposite approach to you David on my current project - I'm tackling the worst bits first, so that when they're done, the rest of it will be much easier stuff that can be rattled off quite quickly.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby fistfullofV5's » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi J P ,
If it makes you feel any better I'm also about 6 years in on my Firenza project. Working on average 1 full day a week on it, I'm now preparing it for paint and the final stages of restoration. Everyone and I include myself reaches that "when will it end" state of mind eventually. You will reach the finish line, you really will.
Regards, Dave.
fistfullofV5's
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:36 am

Bought as a part finished project 1999 :roll: :wink: :lol:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:33 pm

What part was finished? .... :lol:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm

It had an MoT :lol: :lol:
Attachments
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Return to General Discussion