new car old name

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: new car old name

Postby 1972nail » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:02 pm

I was invited to show my car with 4 other classic Vauxhall/Opel cars on the Vauxhall Stand at a local Motor bike road race earlier this summer. They parked up 5 new models on the opposite side of the stand, we had about 500 visitors over the 2 days and we counted around 10 or so visitors to the other side. I suppose you can see new re-badged Peugeots any day of the week :wink:
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:27 pm

1972nail wrote:
craig12 wrote:do you know a wierd fact about lotus cars?
all the models have always started with the letter E

Lotus Seven?

2-Eleven
3-Eleven

But for most road cars since the original Elite they have been Es
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby craig12 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:59 am

ok then 90 % of them are , elan , eclat, excel ,esprit,elite,evora,elise,
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:26 pm

craig12 wrote:has a car ever been renamed from a previous model the same name

Picture the scene when someone searches Google because someone tells them how different-looking their Citroen DS was when they first bought it.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby GAV » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Ford used the Corsair name, after Heir to The Heinz dynesty had a one off special made called The Phantom( a Rolls Royce name reused on the Beemer based version, )Corsair. The fated Edsel had Corsair versions and of course Ford UK had a mini Cigar Rocket T Bird in the Consul Corsair, a two door one was at the Walton On The Naze Show. Similar Green to my HB and a nice HA I parked next to.https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BEDD64B
Not sure how Ford managed to call their personal sporty car to rival Chevy Covettes and called it Thunderbird, when Triumph had specifically aimed their post war 650 Twin at the American Markets.

Triumph revitalised by John Blor renamed various models Speed Triple( as opposed to twin)Trident ,Thunderbird Daytona , Bonneville , Rocket 3 and so on.

Edward Turner the man behind the Verticle Twin Triumphs designed a 2.5 and 4.5 Hemi V8s for Daimler and they made a fibreglass sportster named the Dart( and declared the ugliest cat at the 1959 New York Motor Show) then Chrysler objected as they had a passenger sedan called Dart, so the SP 250 is forever called Dart by all.

Daimler now under Leyland control after BMH were taken over fitted the new V12 into the XJ6 and Sovereign calling the latter Double Six after a 30s sidevalve that in Lanchester form was very much favoured by the Royals.

BMC revived many pre war names, MG Midget,Magnette, Wolsley Hornet, a guy at the aforementioned show has a 1934 ex Police one and he dresses accordingly.
Not sure if Riley Elf was a name used before the Mini based version but the ADO 16 Riley 1100 and 1300 were called Kestrel after a 30s one, anyway Leyland revised the Princess name after the Austin Westminster A99 based Van den Plas Princess name was changed to Vanden Plas 3 Litre, the limo type that Princess Anne was held up in on the Mall, was maybe still called Princess, however the wedge shaped effort in the seventees was named Princess with a range topping Wolseley six, then it became the Ambassador , long after the Indian version of the Morris Oxford was so named and powered by an Isuza motor.

I recentley aquired an Indian Bullet 350 circa 1994 but restored to look like the older Brit ones, which originally the former Bombay Police force ordered from Royal Enfield, and so liked was manufactured at first under contract, then the rights were sold and they still make em including a GT Continental and Hurricane.

thats my lot yu’ll be glad to hear.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion