new car old name

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

new car old name

Postby craig12 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:26 pm

ive gotta be honest im not over the moon at calling a modern production car a viva , and its making searching spares now even harder , has a car ever been renamed from a previous model the same name , sorry but i think its wrong to rename a new car viva :cry:
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: new car old name

Postby jpsmit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:26 pm

craig12 wrote: has a car ever been renamed from a previous model the same name

over and over.

Some without break - Mustang/ Corvette etc
Others with break - Charger/ Challenger/ VW Beetle
But has always been so - MG Midget (renamed from the Midgets of the 30's)
IIRC even Ferrari did it recently

marketing doesn't care about searching for parts.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby redfirenza » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Its seems strange after such a long break from the Viva name but I guess its in the same spirit as a cheap disposable family car, even if it is a re-badged bought in piece of tat!
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Don't forget the Mini, Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S, Mini Clubman and Mini Traveller all have modern equivalents.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Bob perry » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:29 pm

I have to admit I did think about it, when changing my car recently, and I thought it would be cool to have a 1966 and a 2016 Viva side by side on my drive!!

Even visited the local showroom, IN MY HA, to show off really!!, and the salesmen were all over my car and not the new one, one up for the HA!!!

Really disappointed in the new model, just a tiny four wheel box, minimal boot and absolutely no character!!

If I was going for anything Vauxhall it would be the Astra or 4 door Corsa, but I didn't and got a much better deal with my usual Peugeot Dealer and the 2008.
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:44 pm

My only disappointment was that they used the older Viva for cheap laughs in the newspaper adverts for the new one. It wouldn't have killed them to have some HA, HB and HC in the background of the TV ads (as other manufacturers do sometimes), if there were any, and not be quite so dismissive of their own heritage.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Back in the day there was the Lotus Europa

Wind forward a bit and production of the Vauxhall VX220 is being wound down, the car is re-bodied for Lotus's then parent company to be a Proton....... Proton change their minds so Lotus decides to release it as the Europa SE.

It was known in the dealer network as the NoHopea.............

We sold about three in it's entire run, bare in mind the place I work for is the world's oldest Lotus dealership and consistently top for sales.

Think there are more 70s Europa on the road now than the one from ten years ago!
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby craig12 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

VampireTigger wrote:Back in the day there was the Lotus Europa

Wind forward a bit and production of the Vauxhall VX220 is being wound down, the car is re-bodied for Lotus's then parent company to be a Proton....... Proton change their minds so Lotus decides to release it as the Europa SE.

It was known in the dealer network as the NoHopea.............

We sold about three in it's entire run, bare in mind the place I work for is the world's oldest Lotus dealership and consistently top for sales.

Think there are more 70s Europa on the road now than the one from ten years ago!

do you know a wierd fact about lotus cars?
all the models have always started with the letter E
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 am

craig12 wrote:do you know a wierd fact about lotus cars?
all the models have always started with the letter E

Lotus Seven?
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby dann01 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:35 am

Went to Goodwood a few years ago, and VX had a stand there. They had a sample of all three older Viva's there from the heritage centre, and across the way a pair of the new Viva's in the most godawful colours you could imagine it made you wonder if they ever wanted to sell any of these things.

I took the chance to look closely at one. I don't think I had seen anything so bland and characterless. The seats are small and very uncomfy. Next to no leg room in the back. Boot space was an after thought. And if I really wanted a small city car, then there is plenty of other better stuff out there and for less money probably. Also, it's about the same same size as the Agila (Which in the newer model is better laid out in my opinion) and the Adam which they made a big song and dance about and hasn't been mentioned since, so why make a car that's in competition with their own marks? Use the cash to do better marketing of the models you already have.

VX are not what they used to be. And with recent developments, I have wondered how much longer the brand will be around.

Um?
Sometimes, I wonder why I bother, and then for one fleeting moment things will go right for a change.
dann01
Club Treasurer

Next

Return to General Discussion