Are there engine numbers that correspond to engine year?

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Are there engine numbers that correspond to engine year?

Postby daveyc123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:08 am

I need to buy a new sump gasket for my 1974 viva hc 1256. There appears to be an early and later sump gasket. The year it changes is 1974..... How can I tell which one I need?
Thanks guys!
daveyc123
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: Are there engine numbers that correspond to engine year?

Postby StefanM » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:24 pm

They are all the same. Early HA engines had a different one but that is just different materials I believe. Vauxhall used the same gasket from HA to the Chevette.
StefanM
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby pbottomley » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:58 pm

StefanM wrote:They are all the same. Early HA engines had a different one but that is just different materials I believe. Vauxhall used the same gasket from HA to the Chevette.

agree they are all the same, some motor factors still list chevette conversion kits , might as well use those
pbottomley

Postby daveyc123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Cheers guys, I shall go for a later one then!
daveyc123
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby redfirenza » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am

You do find with a lot of the aftermarket sets the strip of cork that goes over the bearing cap is not shaped correctly on the ends, the genuine seal is tapered on the ends
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Return to General Discussion