whats really rare in vivas

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

whats really rare in vivas

Postby craig12 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 pm

as im new to my magnum , can anyone tell me please the rare vivas in ha hb hc , I thought that my limited knowledge the viva gt was rare , was there a viva Brabham ? isn't a 2.3 viva also a rare beast (not magnum )
craig12
SL Viva
SL Viva

Re: whats really rare in vivas

Postby GAV » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi yes there was a dealer fit Brabham option anounced around mid 1967( albeit a leading light on here has one of the press realease versions circa 1966)that based on the Viva Deluxe 90, the SL90 could be converted, same car the Super Luxury moniker denoting a higher spec fixings, sam power, both with Servo assisted front discs, optional on everything else bar rge base model.
The Brabham option featured twin carb, different manifold and optional wider steel wheels, wood rim stearing wheel and gearnob, rev counter, plus stripes were all options in a package that made the already high compression 1159 90 version a bit warmer. Think it was £38

Down under the Brabham had a 70 checker flag badge denoting the gross BHP, whereas the English one followed the FB and C by the optomistic top speed, 90 MPH, the full spec HB Brabham was tested at 89 MPH but in a test with a stock 90 and Blydenstein conversion the latter was the quickest. The 90 saloons and Estates had lower final drives. There was a Viva HA GT that was a Brabham development and available in 3 states of tune, in the highest one it was as quick as a Lotus Cortina.

People keep telling me nice to see a totally original HB and a two door which I would have thought were more numerous than the Oz developed four door. The 1600 was supposed to replace the 90s but wasnt much quicker had a sloppy gearchange, and was far less fuel efficient( but probably a good car for towing with.

I also recall seeing Firenzas and Magnum’s race against such as the Triumph Dolomite Sprint and Capris with the occassional yank Camaro Firebird and Mustang dicing with them especially Blydenstein’s Bertha Big Bertha and was it the beast a Chevy V8 powered shovel mose coupe.

However the HC exponents on here will no doubt have more gen.

Possibly the rarest of all was the fleet model. I cant recall ever seeing one in the day and only a photo since.
GAV
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:32 pm

As far as HC's go there were a number of limited edition models, Blue Riband, Gold Riband, X14, Viva S, DS model (Driving School), E Coupe plus a few others that I can't recall, all of those would be rare now.

The 'fleet model' mentioned was the Delux made from 1970 to 72 which had rubber mats instead of carpets, only a very few of those have been identified and noted in the register. Other cost saving details were cross ply tyres, a single sun visor, rubber rimmed steering wheel, windscreen rubbers without the groves for the chrome strip, (which was also used for the HPF front windscreen) simple straps for interior door handles, later revived for the 1300 L and the E coupe and saloon.

There was the later 1800L (saloon and estate) and the later OHC versions of the Viva GLS which later became Magnums again. Speaking of Magnums, there were only 525 2300 Magnum Coupes made.

Of course the HPF (Droop Snoot Firenza) and Sports Hatch were only produced in small numbers to begin with, 204 and 197 are the figures which are accepted as being the best estimates. However, a surprising number have survived (or been recreated) with estimates of over 100 HPF's and 40 - 50 odd Sports Hatches.

We mustn't forget the Firenza 2300 Sport SL of which there are only 33 known examples left worldwide of both the MK1 and Mk2 models, including those which are parts donors. The sister cars to the Firenza Sport SL were the Firenza 1800 Delux and SL and 2300 SL, Viva 1800 Delux, 1800 and 2300 SL in 2 and 4 door Saloon as well as estates. Again rare now.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Colin » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:14 pm

As above, although relatively rare in production numbers, the 'rare' sporting classics - Viva GT, HPF, Sportshatch, 2300SL Viva / Firenza and 2300 Magnum, have tended to be more cherished down the years than the initially much more numerous, but unloved, prosaic basic 1159 & 1256 HB & HC Viva Standard models.

The above listed top of the range cars are now still very rare, with survival numbers in some cases in low two digit figures or fewer, but the once numerous, but throwaway, HB and HC Viva Standard 'fleet' models are possibly now the rarest of all remaining Vivas.

Rubber floormats, a single sun visor, lack of bright 'Mylar' screen rubber trim and lack of temperature gauge identify these now forgotten 'fleet' Vivas. Viva Standard survival numbers are probably in single figures if you happen to find one.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm

Spending a few hours at this sight might enlighten you :P http://vauxpedia.net/

Here is a Brabham

A 2300 HC Saloon

An 1800 HC Estate and a 2000 Firenza
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby sebwarner1984 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Fred Dukes wrote:Spending a few hours at this sight might enlighten you :P http://vauxpedia.net/

Here is a Brabham
B-Bumble + 001.jpg

A 2300 HC Saloon
4 d 2300 005.jpg

An 1800 HC Estate and a 2000 Firenza
IMG_0172m.jpg

Fred I know it’s a bit of track with this post thread but the 2000 Firenza in the picture you posted appears to be the same colour as my HC. Was this a standard colour for the HC? I have been trying to find out info on this colour for paint repair matching. Cheers. Seb
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Postby 68 dave » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 am

I HAVE A 1971 1.6 SL 2 DOOR HC VERY RARE CAR.
68 dave
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm

The Firenza is Tasman Orange which was not an option on the magnum and according to the trim charts was only available for Canada!
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:30 pm

I'm not sure but your 1979 (?) Viva is code 3RB - ORANGE TAN and as Fred said, the Firenza is Tasmin Orange. The Options Code plate on the offside inner wing and just behind the headlight (it had 3 rivets in it instead of 4....don't ask!) will have the colour and trim codes on it.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby sebwarner1984 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks Fred and Thanks 1972nail appreciate your replies :thanx:
sebwarner1984
De Luxe Viva
De Luxe Viva

Next

Return to General Discussion