whats really rare in vivas

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: whats really rare in vivas

Postby Colin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 am

yoeddynz wrote:A friend here in nz has what I believe to be quite rare 4 door hb SL with factory fitted 1600 ohc and AUTO.

Yep, that's a pretty rare high spec HB.

Only around a dozen HB 1600SL four doors seem to have become known to the club over the years - of which just a couple apparently survive in the UK. It looks like neither of them are autos.

viewforum.php?f=155

So your friend's NZ car might be a unique survivor! I hope there are one or two more out there somewhere.

My Dad had a new HB 1600 SL estate - manual fitted with non-optional Laycock overdrive back in 1969. Dad was a Vauxhall factory service engineer. I'm guessing that car, now long gone, might have been unique.
Last edited by Colin on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby jpsmit » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

I think that 1600 cars were generally more common in the various export markets - as presumably was automatic. I took some parts off a already partially stripped car that the owner swore was a GT with a GT bonnet and a 1600. engine was gone but bonnet remained by the time I got there. (it's long gone now)

I suspect that like other GM products that you could spec these cars pretty much any way you wanted - unfortunately I can find no records of any of it - and given the rust on this side if the pond it doesn't in any way change the rarity of the 4 door SL.
jpsmit
Baby Bertha
Baby Bertha

Postby yoeddynz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:13 am

Here's some photos of it. He looks after it very well!

yoeddynz
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Colin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:49 am

Very nice... And ultra rare! 8)
Colin
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Previous

Return to General Discussion