Latest additon to the fleet

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: Latest additon to the fleet

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Gotya now :D
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Postby Kraken » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:49 am

Very cool. Now I want one!
Kraken
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am

I've probably got one - something I had never got round to - hope you have managed to get the bonnet open :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby VampireTigger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 am

Yep, long screw driver straight up behind the number plate with someone holding the bonnet down.

The cable had jumped out at the bonnet release end, cable ties are wonderful things. The cable casing at the other end has come out of it's holder so you have to hold the casing to pop the bonnet but it works.

Speedo seems fine now Fred, bit of use has freed it up. Clock works when you set it then shuts off soon after, will probably just leave that. The temp gauge barely moves, if someone can tell me where the sending is I'll try earthing the wire to the engine to see if it's the gauge or the sender.

I've been in touch with a local trim shop, they are going to look at the small tear in the rear seat. Also going to get a gear stick gaiter to go over the split rubber one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/black-stitch-FITS-VAUXHALL-FIRENZA-HPF-VIVA-MAGNUM-SPORTSHATCH-LTHR-GEAR-GAITER/351001390507
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby Fred Dukes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:31 am

Sender unit is up the back of the carbs on the underside of the inlet manifold if I remember.
Can doo you a new bonnet pull cable and lever assy.
If you are getting tears in seats fixed there is a small on in the drivers seat.
Clock is semi spring and solenoid type - solenoid winds the spring up - as it runs down a contact makes and solenoid winds spring up again - with age either the spring has weakened or the clock mechanism needs a clean which constrains it reaching the contact to wind it up again :roll:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby 1972nail » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:19 pm

Temp gauge on the OHC engines can be temperamental. The hot end of the sender gets a layer of alloy corrosion on top of it inside the manifold this tends to insulate it a bit. Take it out and clean it or just ignore it like I've done for a few years.... It will climb higher if it gets hot enough.

The clock really needs to be rebuilt by a clock maker and it may work for a few years. I replaced mine with a quartz movement.

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Now with rear parking sensors.

Distance gauge and beep maker for parking sensors

New leather gaiter and same type of head unit as I have in the other Viva. I've kept the old one but this gives me access to VHF. It's also supposed to be a bluetooth hands free and it can play back from MicroSD and USB. Yes, the speakers are part of the unit and it's about £20 on eBay!
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby lord13 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Now that speaker head unit thingy is interesting, whats the sound like, and can you fit additional speakers?
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 pm

For its size it’s surprisingly good. It has two phonos but I believe they are for aux input. Sound is similar to a good sound bar without sub woofer. Yes I’d like more bass but to add audio to a car like this without cutting holes everywhere it’s perfect

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253225612563
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby 1972nail » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 pm

I think you're right about being a shame to cut speaker holes in the doors or else where. I've put off putting a radio in me car for that very reason. Now, it's something to consider if I can make it a bit more 'classic' looking.

1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion