VBOA back at Billing for 2019???

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Re: VBOA back at Billing for 2019???

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am

lord13 wrote:stuff about being welcome

I know what you mean, I've had (what I perceive to be) similar issues in other clubs for various car and non-car related things, but a lot of it is not actually the case at all, it just looks that way. Once you get chatting there's not usually an issue. If you're not the kind of person who does that, that's fine too. We often have a joint (or adjoining) stand with DSG and VVOC at some northern shows, and there are loads of VVOC members I've never spoken to. I hope that's not coming across as me being stand-offish, because it's certainly not intended that way. I'm sure that's the case for all of us.

While it's a little sidetracked, this thread is a good reminder to take care when writing stuff on a forum or in an email, as opposed to saying it out loud - there's no way to add a tone of voice here, and sometimes things can be taken too literally. Equally it's a reminder of the same thing when reading posts. No harm done, though.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby Fred Dukes » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am

It may look like a closed shop to you Mitch I can assure you it is not - the main reason we are longstanding in committee posts is at the ends of the day there is no one stepping forward to take on the posts :roll: but if that belief makes you feel comfortable them so be it. As for you find it difficult to talk to people I hadn't noticed it on here :lol:
CHAIRMAN, and general dogs body
Fred Dukes
Club Chairman

Postby droopsnoot » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Easy on here, though, Fred. I find it much easier to talk to complete strangers on here than in real life. Once I know them, fair enough, but not initially.

The reaction to this news (the news of going back to Billing, not the news that some of us are a bit uneasy with strangers) is getting what is best described as a "mixed reaction" on Facebook.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Postby VampireTigger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm

I may come to this but if I do it won't be in a Viva.

The horror stories for the 2018 Land Rover event where people came back to find their Land Rovers had been stripped of parts in the car parks are frightening!
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby redfirenza » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

At least its going to turn back into a family friendly weekend with a bit more to keep the kids busy! as for trouble considering the size of the Billing event I don't think it was ever too bad, I don't remember any horror stories?
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby VampireTigger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Headlights, other lights, grills, light surrounds, winches and even bonnets were stolen in the car park at Land Rover Billing 2018
Adrian Miller
(the Bournemouth one!)
South East Region Rep
Bouncing between Surrey & Dorset :D
VampireTigger
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby kriswalsh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Any show has a few trouble makers, I've been going to billing since 94 and only ever heard of a couple of incidents. One being a Vauxhall Nova spider being stolen in 2005 but believe that was from the hotel car park outside billing grounds. Second, In 2008 someone was rat arsed and crashed into someones car while doing doughnuts. Other small things are auto jumble being stolen off pitches at night. The show is what you make it, no we're is perfect. At least it's happening.
kriswalsh
GT Viva
GT Viva

Postby redfirenza » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:12 am

VampireTigger wrote:Headlights, other lights, grills, light surrounds, winches and even bonnets were stolen in the car park at Land Rover Billing 2018

That was the land rover show, im talking about the VBOA show and apart from the few odd things mentioned above its good but it has a bit more security laid on by the VBOA I believe, didn't one of the traders get stuff stolen from MH?
redfirenza
SL Viva
SL Viva

Postby lord13 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 am

VampireTigger wrote:Headlights, other lights, grills, light surrounds, winches and even bonnets were stolen in the car park at Land Rover Billing 2018

what were they doing in the car park? surely they should've been on the show field? Any car park is a risk, and most places put up a sign saying that very fact...
lord13
Brabham Viva
Brabham Viva

Postby droopsnoot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:40 am

Not everything is up to display condition, and there are lots of people who like to run these things but don't necessarily want to display them. I think the one photo I saw of a Land Rover with lights missing was a fairly late Defender, but my knowledge of LR stuff is such that it could easily have been 20+ years old. But if it's a recent model, owner was probably just there to have a look around. When we're in a fairly small group, we forget that some cars are so plentiful that for every one on display, there could be hundreds just floating around. Though I do like to see interesting cars that are just being used, rather than like mine - the car parks at various race events I've been to this year have had loads of interesting stuff just parked up in them.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion