Oil pressure gauge

General Discussions about The Vauxhall Viva Owners Club, do you require something from the club we dont offer? What the club is doing for you. NOT for slagging people off, all such comments will be deleted.
Forum rules
Please pay attention to the ‘protocol’ in this forum. This is a friendly club, and we really don’t wish to get into any personal or abusive dialogs. Any such e-mails may be removed, and the person responsible may have their Forum membership revoked

Oil pressure gauge

Postby Bob perry » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Just fitted a Smiths oil pressure gauge to my HA, more a curious about what's going on thing than a necessity, and got some interesting results.

Tick over pressure is around 30/35 psi and 50+ psi when driving.
Seems pretty good to me, and I did fit a new oil pump when building the engine.

Don't know how that compares with anyone else that might have fitted one, and would be interested in your thoughts.

Ammeter or voltmeter next for the winter project, can't decide which? What do you reckon?
Mona Viva
Bob perry
GT Viva
GT Viva

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Postby 1972nail » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:57 pm

Your pressure is within the recommended range,. I would fit a voltmeter. Vauxhall swapped the ammeter on the 7 rail HC dash for a voltmeter because of the easier wiring and the lower risk of fire, no high current connections needed.
Editor of the VVOC Magazine ReVival

"When you have a Firenza like mine, who needs any Minis?" copyright David Maxwell 1979.
1972nail
Old Nail
Old Nail

Location: Ballymoney Co Antrim - some say....the World's best place to live!

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Postby droopsnoot » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:17 am

I find a voltmeter easier to read. While I've never had a car with an ammeter (on the road, at least) I was out with a mate in his classic, and I find it disturbing when the ammeter reads negative, even though that's perfectly normal in certain situations.
droopsnoot
Old Nail
Old Nail

Return to General Discussion